Non-motoring > Flaming Jackdaws Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 8

Flaming Jackdaws - Manatee
Just had a minor chimney fire.

Early in the year the jackdaws blocked the chimney, and they nested again in the summer, so I swept the chimney a few weeks ago. It was a right job to clear it and there was a sackful of moss-like stuff and sticks. Hardly any soot because we hadn't had many fires after the last sweep before they blocked it.

We had a fire on the last cold weekend 2 or 3 weeks ago, and all was fine. About half an hour ago I heard them at it again so I screwed up some paper and set fire to it to get them to clear off.

About 2 minutes after the paper had burnt out, a flaming lump of moss and a twig or two came down the chimney and continued burning in the grate. Within seconds the chimney was roaring like a jet engine, smoke pouring out of the top. Then a bigger drop of burning twigs and moss that had presumably remained stuck up there when I swept it.

After that had gone out it smouldered higher up for a bit, judging by the emissions, and now it's stopped. The chimney seems fine, the stack in the loft wasn't even warm so I think we're OK.

But there's a peculiar smell. I might have roasted a rotting jackdaw or two. Maybe I'll cough up for a proper chimbley sweep next time!
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 11 Dec 18 at 14:55
 Messages Author Date
 Flaming Jackdaws new Manatee 11 Dec 18 14:52
 Flaming Jackdaws new Dog 11 Dec 18 15:39
 Flaming Jackdaws new hawkeye 11 Dec 18 15:51
 Flaming Jackdaws new Zero 11 Dec 18 15:55
 Flaming Jackdaws new tyrednemotional 11 Dec 18 16:36
 Flaming Jackdaws new Manatee 11 Dec 18 17:02
 Flaming Jackdaws new Haywain 11 Dec 18 17:16
 Flaming Jackdaws new Manatee 11 Dec 18 17:44
 Flaming Jackdaws new R.P. 11 Dec 18 17:17
Latest Forum Posts