Non-motoring > Is this a bit cheeky? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 20

Is this a bit cheeky? - legacylad
Arrived yesterday in Tenner Iffy. Very large hotel, Costa Adeje area, supposedly 5*, good reviews, but a large disappointment in that the gym opening hours are restricted to 10.00 > 18:00 hours. I appreciate that I’m in the sub 1% of guests that this will impact, and when I spoke to the senorita this AM at ‘the Spa’ which shares the gym entrance, she rolled her eyes and apologised profusely. Apparently I’m not the only one to complain.
I really enjoy my pre breakfast 60/90 minute workout, and cardio early evening before dinner, but those planss are scuppered. I’ve enquired about joining a local gym but that doesn’t open until 9 AM.
Every hotel I’ve ever stayed in, over many years, that has a gym, has always opened between 7/8 AM, closing around 10PM and it is those early AM and evening periods which get the most use as guests are normally out and about during the day.
I’ve registered a complaint with guest relations just because I can! My usual hotel, a 10 minute walk away, has proper gym opening hours, and I’ve stayed there twice this year and return for 12 nights immediately pre Christmas.
My question is...I could easily walk in unnoticed and use the gym in my ‘usual’ hotel as it is unmanned, but should I enquire first at reception, explain the situation and ask to use it ? I imagine, possibly due to insurance issues, it will be a negative response.
What would you do, given that I’ve another 9 nights here
 Is this a bit cheeky? - No FM2R
I would go and ask.

I'm not very good at sneaking and would die in my boots if I got busted.
P.s. unmanned is not the same as unmonitored.
 Is this a bit cheeky? - CGNorwich
Since you are on holiday lie in bed for an extra hour, go to the gym at 10.00 and brunch at 11.00.

You must learn to be more flexible. You are in a rut. :-)

Ha. Breakfast finishes at 10:30 and being a thoughtful kinda guy I would never appear just before restaurant closing time. I prefer to eat breakfast late, then snack on fruit untii dinner at 9PM or later ( when in Rome ..or Espana)
I’ll walk up to my usual hotel and ask at reception.
 Is this a bit cheeky? - Fullchat
" ......the gym opening hours are restricted to 10.00 > 18:00 hours. "

That's about 8 hours toooooo long :)
 Is this a bit cheeky? - Zero
Just out of Interest, what hotel is it?

Is this a bit cheeky? - bathtub tom
Are you aware of the 'HO­JAS DE RE­CLAMA­CIONES' procedure?
It's a complaint procedure that I understand to be very effective (although I've never used it). I believe every establishment must have one. It's in English as well as Spanish and you get to keep a copy.
Worth a try, asking for it at your hotel's reception?
I’ve never heard of it bt. I wonder if ‘Guest Services’, who have a specific desk in the foyer, will respond.
It’s the GF Gran. Nothing inherently wrong with the place, clean, adequate food, smiley friendly staff, and my prior email request for a room on the top floor with a SW aspect was accommodated, and probably a free upgrade.
Nonetheless my usual hotel in this part of the world is several degrees better in most respects, especially ambience. And not a lot more, provided I pick & choose dates on the month planner, and grit my teeth when paying the usual exorbitant single occupancy supplement.
 Is this a bit cheeky? - Mapmaker
>> 'HO­JAS DE RE­CLAMA­CIONES

A hotel will generally bend over backwards to avoid having something put into this book. No idea whether 'just because I don't like the hours you've chosen to keep your gym open' will have the same impact though.
 Is this a bit cheeky? - maltrap
Go and have a run along the beautiful Del Duque beach, it's free & open 24/7 !
If only.
I haven’t been able to run for years after invasive surgery ( bone was taken from my left hip many years ago to repair a badly broken right wrist ) brought on early severe arthritis. My right hip is 100%.
That kind of surgery is no longer performed so I’ve been told.
Last edited by: legacylad on Thu 15 Nov 18 at 09:09
 Is this a bit cheeky? - Zero
Leave the hotel, run up to Arona, get yourself a cabell d'angel truchas from Pastelería Aroma, then grab a quick Barraquito at the bar across the road, then run back down again.
 Is this a bit cheeky? - Dog
>>Arrived yesterday in Tenner Iffy.

Woss the wevver like guvnor:

www.islandconnections.eu/1000003/1000043/0/51125/daily-news-article.html
Much better today than was forecast. I did notice larger waves than normal during a stroll from La Caleta to Playa de las Americas yesterday, a few folks taking photos, but nothing special. Torrential rain Saturday afternoon, so confined to hotel gym and watched a film on room TV hardwired from iPad.
Almost full sun today at Adeje....just returned from swimming in the sea at Playa del Duque, where the sole lifeguard on duty was restricting swimming to within a very narrow corridor and in danger of wearing out his whistle! Sun is setting as I type, time for a cuppa ( I bought a mug at the charity store) using Yorkshire Tea bags and full fat milk from Mercadona supermarket.
Life on the edge.....
Decathlon tomorrow checking out inflatable kayaks, which I’ll bring home should I make a purchase
 Is this a bit cheeky? - Dog
Ah you've gorn and done it now LL .. my wife and I used to cycle along the autopista (and lived to tell the tale!) from Los Cris to La Caleta every Saturday, coming back along the ocean front, stopping at Del Duque for a swim, Burger King at Fanabe, then home.

We've been in the Del Duque, although they wouldn't me in at first because I was unsuitably attired in shorts, T shirt, and sandals :)

I was attending a seminar hosted by these clowns: www.blevinsfranks.com/where-we-are/spain so mBill Blevins had to come and get me.

I checked out the weathercam this afternoon and the wev in LC looked mighty-fine to me.
LL, where did you get to with the gym?
Sorted thankyou. It wasn’t a problem using the gym at the hotel where I normally stay.
I asked at reception, and as a previous customer, and a future customer returning in a few weeks, were happy to let me use their gym. They even gave me a bottle of water. Nice touch even when there is a chilled water dispenser.
Nice to be home....cracking weather today on the fells in the SE Lake District.
Ruddy awful weather here in the Dales these past few days. Lashing sideways rain, puddles the size of small lakes on the roads, and a good friends sudden and very unexpected funeral today.
I’m returning to warmer climes next weekend, but home in time for my pre booked Christmas Day curry with friends so won’t need to buy any food apart from some pork & black pudding sausages to eat on Boxing Day with oven chips and microwaved beans.
 Is this a bit cheeky? - bathtub tom
>>won't need to buy any food apart from some pork & black pudding sausages

Got some black pudding, pork and apple sausages from ALDI the other day. SWMBO won't touch them.
Latest Forum Posts