Non-motoring > Itemised phone bill & mobile charge query Miscellaneous
Thread Author: TheManWithNoName Replies: 12

Itemised phone bill & mobile charge query - TheManWithNoName
My parents were billed recently for an hour long conversation with a mobile number.

On Boxing day mum rang her sister's landline after 6pm (free evening and weekend calls for the first hour).

However their itemised bill shows a Vodafone mobile number was dialled with a bill for nearly £8.
When they checked the mobile number it turned out to be the brother in law's. Mum says there's no way she'd have rung his mobile and certainly not spoken for an hour.

They think BIL had diverted his landline to the mobile as previously they were away for a few days just before Christmas.

If my mum called a landline, which should have been free, would you expect the itemised bill to show both numbers? Should there have been an announcement or warning she was about to spend an hour calling a mobile number? Seems to me there's room for improvement with their own provider or the provider of the person called.

They daren't call BIL to ask him as they'd probably get charged again. I suggested they text him instead.
 Itemised phone bill & mobile charge query - Timeonmyhands
The transfer cost to mobile would be bourne by subscriber of the landline your mother called.
Not sure I understand you.

I accept my uncle may have had to pay his provider to forward calls to his mobile but that's his problem. It doesn't stop any unsuspecting caller to his landline picking up the cost of unknowingly diverting to an expensive mobile number.

Just wondering if anyone on the forum has had a landline diverted and whether it caused issues for people who called you or if you've dialed a landline and been billed for a mobile call?

Itemised phone bill & mobile charge query - smokie
He's saying that the caller would only pay the cost of the call to the landline. The cost of forwarding the call to the mobile would fall to the landline owner in its entirety..

As far as I'm aware the caller's phone wouldn't even be aware that the call had been diverted.

You may be able to find the outgoing call in call history.

Does she have the son-in-law's number stored on her phone?
 Itemised phone bill & mobile charge query - rtj70
The £8 call is because the mobile was called. But that seems steep for calling a mobile from a landline even for an hour.
 Itemised phone bill & mobile charge query - spamcan61
>> The £8 call is because the mobile was called. But that seems steep for calling
>> a mobile from a landline even for an hour.
>>

..but the OP states a landline number was called, as others have stated I would expect any subsequent call forwarding to be paid for by the called party not the caller.
 Itemised phone bill & mobile charge query - Manatee
Yes. I'd wager, to coin a phrase, that she called the mobile by mistake It's easy to do especially when using the call log on a mobile to call back.
>> ..but the OP states a landline number was called

No they don't say that at all. They assume that's the case but they then go on to say: "However their itemised bill shows a Vodafone mobile number was dialled with a bill for nearly £8.

So the dialled number was a mobile number and not the assumed landline. There was no call diversion involved because then there'd be no charge and the number listed on the itemised bill would be a landline.

She called the mobile. So assuming the call was for 60 minutes and cost around 13p/min then the cost would be £7.80. Sounds about right - but expensive!

>> They think BIL had diverted his landline to the mobile as previously they were away for a few
>> days just before Christmas.

I think this is a red herring. They 'think it was diverted' and maybe it was but she rang the mobile. Easily done.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 22 Jan 17 at 18:26
 Itemised phone bill & mobile charge query - BrianByPass
>> The £8 call is because the mobile was called. But that seems steep for calling
>> a mobile from a landline even for an hour.
>>

BT charges - Calls to all other UK Mobile numbers - including
non-BT Mobile Consumer numbers (at all times)
15.0p per minute + 19.0p set up fee

Therefore one hour Vodafone mobile called via BT landline costs £9.19

UK Mobiles calls are free for the (dreaded by some) TalkTalk anytime customers

Last edited by: BrianByPass on Sun 22 Jan 17 at 18:27
>> Therefore one hour Vodafone mobile called via BT landline costs £9.19

So it's either not a BT landline or the call wasn't for quite an hour to the mobile.
 Itemised phone bill & mobile charge query - BrianByPass

>> So it's either not a BT landline or the call wasn't for quite an hour
>> to the mobile.
>>

Yes, we'll have to wait for OP to confirm the exact details.

I think it is possible the caller may have dialled a stored number or used a call history log to call back (where in either case she has stored the names of the contact against that mobile number).
I'm now beginning to wonder if she did call the mobile in error. Just seems odd however bearing in mind she doesn't have her BIL's mobile stored in the home phone and she'd never usually speak to him first hand.

Ho hum.
Perhaps its early signs of dementia!
Maybe she knew the last call was from her sister so used 1471 to ring back. But she didn't realise her sister had last called from BiL's mobile?

Maybe sister was not at home when she had previously rang because it was Boxing Day.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 23 Jan 17 at 12:02
Latest Forum Posts