Non-motoring > What a week Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 10

What a week - R.P.
Started quite promising singing with a small (find your voice) choir on Sunday evening. Came home felt ok. Went to work Monday worked hard most of the day. The older Spanial was going in for surgery in the daytime.

Sitting on the bed when I got home I felt insanely and disproportinally tired to perceived expended activity - Landline rang and it was our estate agent saying that the chain had re-assembled itself and we were good to go again after a two week lull. Dog came home in a cone of shame and the poor dog was banging into things - don't think he's ever been in one in 11 years....lot of umming and ahing, decided to remove it and keep a close eye on him to prevent scratching or rolling (op on the eyelid) - easy. I got more tired and my eyes were aching....didn't think much about that really, left the dogo in his cone and went to bed.

Could hear him downstaris whimpering to himself and the cone baning on the tiles. Went down found him sitting on the door mat back to the door and miserable as sin. So I re-located to the settee in a sleeping bag. Felt very warm (thought it was due to the winter bag) - fet quite rough and tired slept quite well one hand on the dogs collar and the alert worked he got up at three am to go for drink. Slept fitfully until 8 woek up with the mother of sore throats aching joints, feverish and bad dreams. Went off to my real bed after calling in sick with the Office- left dog in Mrs RP's care, he seemed fine. She sorted out waking up the chain again and slpet most of the day. Big mistake was not enough fluids. I was ill on Weds and able to rationalise that I was seriously dehydrated but couldn't drink and panic was setting in to be honest. Everything tasted strange and difficulty swallowing - Oddly local tap-water became the food of the gods...superb taste. My misery depened over Wednesday and Thursday with regular relapses - didn't get much to eat at all. I came over the hump this afternoon...worse thing I've suffered in ages took me out of it for the week. I apologise to Manatee for sounding as if I was ranting - it was latent within me ! Not quite back to normal - sniffy nose slightly bad chest and soundcard disconnected for three days back now with a new driver.....effectively a week off sorting the house out though. In my fever I managed to sort a surveyor, fund some work to be done and do some stuff with Conservation Area issues - see how it goes tomorrow...awful thing illness I suffered a week of it - some suffer lifetime illnesses one has to count one's blessings.
 What a week - Focal Point
Sorry to hear of your woes, RP!

The big mistake was not drinking enough, but it's easy to miss what your body is telling you when you've got other stuff going on. Not eating much over a short period is minor, really. Do continue with more fluids than you may feel are necessary for a while. It sounds like a nasty virus or whatever that you've had.

You have my sympathy, anyway. I had surgery on 9th January for what I had expected until a short time beforehand to be a straightforward groin hernia repair. Then one of the surgery team spotted another hernia near my navel, which I had been unaware of, but I realised was slightly tender. And then, literally minutes before I went to the theatre, the operating surgeon examined me and told me I had a weakness in the other groin. So, a triple whammy. Some discomfort afterwards (morphine for a while), followed by profound exhaustion, grotesque swelling etc. It's only now, twelve days on, that I have felt anything like normal.
 What a week - rtj70
Get well soon.

How's the dog doing?
 What a week - Dog
Although I haven't bin anywhere near a doctor since 1992, I'm surprised you didn't call in your GP, being you were so ruff.

>>awful thing illness I suffered a week of it - some suffer lifetime illnesses one has to count one's blessings.

Many a true word spoken in truth!

Good to hear you're on the mend now Pugley.
 What a week - legacylad
I too am only just up and about after ten days in bed....my immune system collapsed ten years ago resulting in an enforced stay within the NHS, and I ended up with cellulitis in both lower legs. Talk about Nellie the Elephant. Followed by a month in bed and crutches for 6 months. And strongly advised to sell up... I was hold that the 7 day week had caught up with my aging body, even though I loved my job.
Nowadays I seem to get a bad viral infection every few years. Non stop hacking cough, puking up bubbles & froth, total loss of appetite. Off for a walk with friends today, only about 6 miles, followed by late afternoon beer. Unless I need to visit the nursing home, which is imminent.
It's just nice to be out of bed and not knelt with my head down the pan.
 What a week - Runfer D'Hills
Fit as a flea me, only had two days off sick in nigh on 40 years of working. That was Chicken Pox and it totally floored me. Other than that never been so bad I couldn't just get on with it. Odd heavy cold now and then of course and crocked myself doing daft things loads of times, but nothing to prevent fairly normal life. Luck of the draw I guess.

Years of self employment taught me that being ill was a state of mind in many cases. When there's no such thing as sick pay you just tend to ignore things that might get in the way of keeping the wolves from the door.

What a week - R.P.
I was never off sick in the last ten years of my profession - I had to take days off in 2008 with sore throat which was horrendous. Where I visit now during working hours seems to have suffered whilst I was off with 3 going off with the same lurgy.

The dog's fine his coat is as incredibly shiny as ever - he's aching to go for a run, but I won't venture out just yet. Cold and damp here today and I'm not sure whether I'm right to drive.
 What a week - Dog
I had the pox of chickens @ age 37 = A right bar steward it was too.

Maybe catching it late in life strengthens ones immune system in some way??
 What a week - zippy
Hope you feel better soon RP. Hate being ill and sympathise.

Hope pooch feels better soon too!
 What a week - R.P.
He's just fine. Again slightly better today. Going to doc tomorrow. Feel guilty at the dogs' lack of exercise.
 What a week - CGNorwich
Flu is awful.
Latest Forum Posts