Non-motoring > Lane etiquette.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 11

Lane etiquette.... - Ted

No....shouldn't be in motoring. I'm referring to swimming.

Due to us having a brand spanking new sports facility here, I've taken up having a splash about on 3 mornings each week. Mornings are adults only, but apart from Monday, 3 lanes are for schools leaving just 3 for us. I've noticed a few times, the ' Olympic ' type swimmers seem to hog a lane which is inconvenient for us slower folks. I know they've paid to be there, which is more than us pensioners have , but it does restrict the pool and you have to keep your wits about you to stay out of their way.

On Monday there was one elderly, like me, chap ploughing up and down using only back stroke. Coming towards me, but with plenty of room to pass, he suddenly drifted across to a head on position with me. As we were only about 6 feet apart, I couldn't get out of the way and I shouted ' You're drifting ' He shouted back ' I don't normally, anyway, why didn't you get out of my way...are you disabled or something ? ' I said ' Actually, I am ' He swam sheepishly away to the far side of the pool. I could have got rather angry when he said that ! I hope he's not in tomorrow.

I'd watched him prior to this and I don't think he took many looks behind him at all. What's the etiquette here ? Some pools locally reserve a lane for the Tour de France types and some have them going up one side and back down the other.

I don't swim fast now, just plod along using the breast stroke...my right shoulder won't let me use the crawl. Last time I swam was in the Bodensee in 2001 ! It was cold !!

Oh, and there's some discrimination here. Late morning Tuesday and Thursday it's ladies only. Meaning Muslim ladies, I suppose. They even roll the pool cover down so you can't see in whilst you're having your hot chocolate and biccy in the cafe afterwards.

No ' men only ' time ????
 Lane etiquette.... - bathtub tom
They usually have a direction for lane swimmers.

I can't do front crawl any more and breast stroke don't do my knees any good.

As for discrimination, don't get me started on it. MOBO and the National Black Police Federation.

What would happen if the 'B' were replaced by a 'W'?
 Lane etiquette.... - Pat
Oh no, here we go again!

Roger, MD and Dog please don't comment on this thread:)

Pat
 Lane etiquette.... - Dog
>>Roger, MD and Dog please don't comment on this thread:)

Why would I comment on it - it's not as if it's about Zionism / mass immigration to England / the EU con, or sodomy.
 Lane etiquette.... - Zero
me 'n the missus swim at our local gym, where they have a smallish pool. Being smallish its sensible to have restrictions. There is a fast swimming lane, there is ladies time (of all religious persuasions) there is aquarobics, kids splash, and there is whinging old gits mobility time.

A pool, an inherently unsafe place, is expected to be used for a variety of often competing and clashing activities, so I see no reason why it shouldn't be segregated.

Lane etiquette.... - henry k
>> A pool, an inherently unsafe place, is expected to be used for a variety of
>> often competing and clashing activities, so I see no reason why it shouldn't be segregated.
>>
Having had a talk re swimming I am now more aware of some extra risks re swimming for folks after having had heart problems.

acpicr.com/sites/default/files/A%20guide%20for%20heart%20patients%20-%20A4%20Leaflet.pdf

So if you see someone walking round and round the pool it is not about picking up courage to get in :-)
>> >>Roger, MD and Dog please don't comment on this thread:)
>>
>>
>> Why would I comment on it - it's not as if it's about Zionism /
>> mass immigration to England / the EU con, or sodomy.

I wonder what the sun headline would be if dog was raped by a black jewish hungarian working over here on a EU passport.
 Lane etiquette.... - Cliff Pope
Tricky subject.
The lanes in our local pool are not very wide - I don't know whether they are standard width, presumably yes. That means there is only just room for two breaststrokers to pass, if they each pull in their offside arms when passing.
The pseudo-Olympic medalist enthusiasts think they own the pool, and won't make any effort to avoid other people, but look very angry if baulked.

The only solution is to go early and monopolise a lane just for you or family/friends. Once you have 3 or more people in a friendly group chugging up and down even the extreme swimmers don't try to muscle in.
It's a bit like bagging a railway compartment in the old days. Spread your stuff out over all the seats and try and pretend there is no room.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Wed 11 Nov 15 at 09:22

>> It's a bit like bagging a railway compartment in the old days. Spread your stuff
>> out over all the seats and try and pretend there is no room.

try that in commuting time and you would have ended up on the platform.
 Lane etiquette.... - Dog
>>I wonder what the sun headline would be if dog was raped by a black jewish hungarian working over here on a EU passport.

* DOG CASTRATES MAN IN SUSPECTED REVENGE ATTACK *
 Lane etiquette.... - Alanovich
Blimey. Are there a lot of bicycles parked outside this pool?
 Lane etiquette.... - Roger.
....about as many as are inside, swimming. ;-)
Latest Forum Posts