Non-motoring > Lane etiquette.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 11

Lane etiquette.... - Ted

No....shouldn't be in motoring. I'm referring to swimming.

Due to us having a brand spanking new sports facility here, I've taken up having a splash about on 3 mornings each week. Mornings are adults only, but apart from Monday, 3 lanes are for schools leaving just 3 for us. I've noticed a few times, the ' Olympic ' type swimmers seem to hog a lane which is inconvenient for us slower folks. I know they've paid to be there, which is more than us pensioners have , but it does restrict the pool and you have to keep your wits about you to stay out of their way.

On Monday there was one elderly, like me, chap ploughing up and down using only back stroke. Coming towards me, but with plenty of room to pass, he suddenly drifted across to a head on position with me. As we were only about 6 feet apart, I couldn't get out of the way and I shouted ' You're drifting ' He shouted back ' I don't normally, anyway, why didn't you get out of my way...are you disabled or something ? ' I said ' Actually, I am ' He swam sheepishly away to the far side of the pool. I could have got rather angry when he said that ! I hope he's not in tomorrow.

I'd watched him prior to this and I don't think he took many looks behind him at all. What's the etiquette here ? Some pools locally reserve a lane for the Tour de France types and some have them going up one side and back down the other.

I don't swim fast now, just plod along using the breast stroke...my right shoulder won't let me use the crawl. Last time I swam was in the Bodensee in 2001 ! It was cold !!

Oh, and there's some discrimination here. Late morning Tuesday and Thursday it's ladies only. Meaning Muslim ladies, I suppose. They even roll the pool cover down so you can't see in whilst you're having your hot chocolate and biccy in the cafe afterwards.

No ' men only ' time ????
 Messages Author Date
 Lane etiquette....  Ted 10 Nov 15 22:46
 Lane etiquette....  bathtub tom 11 Nov 15 00:08
 Lane etiquette....  Pat 11 Nov 15 04:19
 Lane etiquette....  Dog 11 Nov 15 08:38
 Lane etiquette....  Zero 11 Nov 15 08:55
 Lane etiquette....  henry k 11 Nov 15 09:16
 Lane etiquette....  Zero 11 Nov 15 08:56
 Lane etiquette....  Cliff Pope 11 Nov 15 09:22
 Lane etiquette....  Zero 11 Nov 15 09:29
 Lane etiquette....  Dog 11 Nov 15 11:17