Non-motoring > Yodel - anybody else having problems? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 15

Yodel - anybody else having problems? - Manatee
I had an SMS from Yodel yesterday, "sorry we missed you" and a link that indicated they had tried to deliver about 5 minutes earlier and put a card through my door. I had been sitting about 9' from the front door at the time and no card was evident. Tracking showed that the parcel had been returned to Middleton service centre - I assume this is Manchester, about 180 miles away.

Very confusing as I am actually waiting for a laptop to be delivered by Yodel, not to me but to the corner shop 2 miles away (because experience has shown that Yodel can't always find me at home even when I am here).

The tracking for the laptop shows it was in Minworth, Brum yesterday, was out for delivery from Northampton this morning.

The tracking for the other parcel shows it is out for delivery from Middleton which seems pretty unlikely if it is destined for me.

Message on the Yodel website:

"3/9/15, 10:30AM: We had an issue with our scanners yesterday which caused some delivery delays and inaccurate tracking info. It’s now resolved and we’ll deliver any delayed parcels today and tomorrow. We’re incredibly busy so please don’t call us, the latest info on your parcel will be here in the tracking info."

Yodel has been rubbish ever since it was formed out of DHL and HDN. Controlled by the Barclay Brothers I believe.

Just had another SMS to say my (actual) parcel is at the shop...

Yodel - anybody else having problems? - Stuartli
Not the only company to get up to such tricks as I've discovered on more than one occasion...:-(

I recall someone posting CCTV shots of a Yodel delivery driver throwing a parcel over a back yard door because he had, apparently, got no reply.
 Yodel - anybody else having problems? - Roger.
I've not had too much experience of Yodel, but they have been OK.
There are on-line forums dedicated to complaining about Yodel, I believe.

I am very impressed with DPD, often used by Amazon, with whom we are regular customers.
You get an email to track your parcel and on delivery day, an email giving not only your specific time slot, but a link to a map showing whre the delivery van is.
We have never been let down, either on the day, or the time, of delivery.
Last edited by: Roger. on Thu 3 Sep 15 at 11:37
 Yodel - anybody else having problems? - smokie
"There are on-line forums dedicated to complaining about Yodel, I believe."

There are on-line forums dedicated to complaining about pretty much any and everything these days... must be lots of unhappy people out there...
 Yodel - anybody else having problems? - Cliff Pope

>> There are on-line forums dedicated to complaining about pretty much any and everything these days...
>> must be lots of unhappy people out there...
>>

But some happy yodellers here:

forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/yodelling.323664/
 Yodel - anybody else having problems? - Bromptonaut
Like Roger I've found DPD beats the rest by a country mile. Had one problem with them when a major sorting kit failure at their local depot stopped deliveries and damaged some packages.

Got a clear email explanation and when the slightly knocked about package was delivered driver suggested I open it while he waited in case contents were damaged - they were not.

Yodel seem more prone to battered and unliveried vehicles and staff with limited English. Got an insight on Tuesday as to how they might get a false 'missed delivery'. Yodel arrived with a package for my neighbour while I was outside tidying my car. No car in her drive and Yodel man assumed, without ringing a bell, that she was out and asked me to sign for parcel. I'd seen her mid teens son and his mate enter the house only 10mins before and was about to point this out when son (who is a super young man) opened the door - he'd seen Y man through window.
>> There are on-line forums dedicated to complaining about pretty much any and everything these days...

.....must be lots of unhappy people out there...>>

Don't tell me you are surprised...:-) To be honest, courier drivers face a new set of logistics every day and it must be difficult to plan the most economical use of time route - no wonder they sometimes cut corners (if you pardon the pun).
>>I am very impressed with DPD, often used by Amazon, with whom we are regular customers.>>

I'll second that.

However, in most cases, it's generally more convenient to use a collection service from a local shop or other retail outlet. You can collect when it suits you.
 Yodel - anybody else having problems? - Alastairw
However, even saintly DPD do the Sorry you were out thing when you are actually in, as I know to my cost. SMS to say they had missed me arrived while I sat waiting in the house.
 Yodel - anybody else having problems? - Manatee
Well the second Yodel parcel, that I had the SMS about yesterday, has now been delivered according to a further SMS. Lord knows who to, or what it is, they haven't been here.

I hope it isn't something I ordered and forgot about.

That seems unlikely, given it was out for delivery from Manchester.
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 3 Sep 15 at 18:16
 Yodel - anybody else having problems? - rtj70
Yodel have two tiers of delivery drivers. Ones that are driving Yodel delivery vans and people driving their own cars. The latter are probably the ones offering the poorer Yodel service.

These basically get sent a load of packages to deliver. They only get paid for delivered packages and they have lots to deliver in a day. So they don't hang around waiting to see if you're just slow answering the door.

The ones I've seen delivering are driving pretty old cars with a pile of parcels in the boot and on the back seat. Not that professional.

It was a Yodel delivery driver that threw a package containing one of the ceramic poppies over a security gate when someone was not in. The package was clearly marked as fragile.
 Yodel - anybody else having problems? - rtj70
>> the second Yodel parcel, that I had the SMS about yesterday, has now been delivered
>> according to a further SMS. Lord knows who to, or what it is, they haven't been here.

A while back I ordered something from Amazon and had it sent to a Collect+ location. I then kept getting texts to tell me there were parcels ready to collect in various locations around the UK. Somehow my mobile number was associated with other people's orders. I'm not sure if this was Yodel or some other company. I tried contacting them but I guess someone failed to collect their parcels because they didn't know they were available.
>>It was a Yodel delivery driver that threw a package containing one of the ceramic poppies over a security gate when someone was not in. The package was clearly marked as fragile.>>

That's the one! Thank you for recalling it so accurately.
 Yodel - anybody else having problems? - Robbie34
Another thumbs up for DPD.

I buy dog food in bulk from Millie's Wolfheart who use DPD. Always next day delivery and an email to tell me at what time my order will arrive. The timing is always spot on and the drivers are always helpful and polite.
 Yodel - anybody else having problems? - VxFan
>> The tracking for the laptop shows it was in Minworth, Brum yesterday, was out for delivery
>> from Northampton this morning.

>> The tracking for the other parcel shows it is out for delivery from Middleton which seems
>> pretty unlikely if it is destined for me.

Can't speak for Yodel (or any other courier), but TNT duplicate and recycle their tracking reference codes. If they haven't updated their system with the new booking details then the tracking reference will still show the previous booking that was on the system.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 4 Sep 15 at 12:54
 Yodel - anybody else having problems? - Roger.
We have bought a new rug from John Lewis and I was gratified to see they use DPD.
Currently I'm having innocent, time-wasting fun (between resting my pork & apple sausage mixture, prior to stuffing the casings and actually trying to make evenly sized bangers) tracking the driver as he nears our address!
Latest Forum Posts