Non-motoring > HMRC Last day to submit Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 14

HMRC Last day to submit - sherlock47
I know that there is another thread somewhere, but this is worthy of a stand alone piece of advice and (unusal government ) praise.

When I submitted my finally completed return about 10 days ago I am sure that an on screen message indicated that I would receive an email acknowledgement within 72 hours. Because I was going away for a few days and wanted to make sure that I ws paid up I also sent them the money owed.

My wife was in a similar position and she had received an email acknowledgement of the return and had then paid.

I knew that they had my email adress - as I had received my replacement password using the online service.

So this morning at 08.30 I rang them expecting a long wait. THE CALL WAS ANSWERED ON THE FIRST RING. The guy was very helpful and said that I did not have an email address registered on the system - hence no email acknowledgent.

Going online to the HMRC site showed he was correct - no email address shown. It appears that the Government Gateway registration details (aka "online Government Account email address") is different to the details held by HMRC.

I found the whole process very straightforward, with only one question causing my wife a problem, it seemed to have a 'double negative' in the question.
 HMRC Last day to submit - hjd
Technically, tomorrow is the last day to submit your self-assessment tax return, not today.
All my clients' returns now done and dusted, thank goodness.
 HMRC Last day to submit - Alastairw
Snap hjd. Hoping for a restful February.
 HMRC Last day to submit - Sandgrown
Me too. The last one went in at 3.30 so all done in good time despite so many clients insisting on leaving things to the last minute.
 HMRC Last day to submit - Sandgrown
Me too. The last one went in at 3.30 so all done in good time despite so many clients insisting on leaving things to the last minute.
 HMRC Last day to submit - legacylad
Still awaiting my £300 refund after doing my self assessment online three weeks ago. Probably my last ever refund as I intend drawing out of my small pension fund the max amount possible up to my personal allowance before I croak. Sadly my 25% tax free lump sum has already been withdrawn & spent.
 HMRC Last day to submit - smokie
Did mine on 10th (Sat) and the £500+ arrived in the bank on 13th. Did you ask for a cheque?
 HMRC Last day to submit - Alastairw
Sometime repayments get picked out for 'security checks' - I was the repayment security officer for a while. Can delay issue of repayment for weeks.
Just discovered why I did not get my £300 refund. Gave my bank details, double & triple checked my figures, got my submission reference number, printed out then dashed to pub to meet friends for early doors.
Forgot to press submit.
Now my refund will be £100 less.
No fool like an old fool.
Herman now £6100.
Oh well, at least it's better than Dylan Thomas small Welsh fishing village
 HMRC Last day to submit - WillDeBeest
Bad luck, LL. My £300 still shows as 'pending' but the better news is the message today that told me I'll no longer be required to do a self-assessment. Very pleased about that!

Then again, it was only the meddling with Child Benefit that meant I had to do SA in the first place, and left me £300 short for all those months (after paying back £500 a year ago too). At least I'm no longer a benefit claimant, which in the world of Roger (who is) means I'm still allowed to drive.
 HMRC Last day to submit - Slidingpillar
On average, I get one communication a year telling me they don't need any more self assessments. And included in it, is a notice of when you do. I always do, and a simple yes/no question on the return would cut all that silliness out.
 HMRC Last day to submit - Stuu
Mine was sent in May last year, cant be doing sitting on paperwork, im not 14 anymore.
 HMRC Last day to submit - Focusless
Got an email earlier from HMRC stating 'your personalised tax summary is now available online'. Logged into portal, clicked on 'annual tax summary' - You had no taxable income or capital gains this year so you dont have an annual tax summary.

It's a trial service apparently - looks like there's still a bit of work to do :)
 HMRC Last day to submit - Slidingpillar
I too had the email. The rather useless summary was there days ago as I saw it when I checked all was well with my account, just before the deadline.
Latest Forum Posts