Non-motoring > Looking for magazine recommendation Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 11

Looking for magazine recommendation - Crankcase
For some time I've been a reader of the American Cabinet magazine, and also the New Yorker, both of which I enjoy very much.

What I like about these is that they are intelligently written, have the rare quality of introducing me to new things, and most of all seem to have a variety of subject material that takes you by surprise every issue.

I can't find a uk magazine that has the same qualities. Obvious candidates such The Spectator, Times Literary Supplement, the Economist or the London Review of Books all have their place but are rather single minded in their approach. Stuff like the New Scientist has gone very downhill in recent years, and stuff like Nature or Science tend to be more abstruse than I have time to cope with on anything other than the odd dip in.

Is there some magazine I'm missing out on here the panel could recommend? I want something a bit challenging for the general reader but that has unpredictable wide ranging subject matter, not the kind of one trick pony stuff the ones I mentioned seem to be.

I don't have an interest in this instance in reading stuff on the web, so don't suggest Wikipedia!

Any ideas? Otherwise it'll be a year's subscription to Nutz.

Looking for magazine recommendation - WillDeBeest
I love the FT Weekend magazine. Some intelligent and entertaining regular columns, a nice 'Pursuits' section that has a reporter trying new things, like fell running, welding or darts, and always a couple of heavyweight, thought-provoking main articles. All for £3 a week with a newspaper attached.
 Looking for magazine recommendation - Alastairw
Does National Geographic still publish a paper magazine? I loved the 60s editions my uncle gave me, with all their ads for unattainable American things.
 Looking for magazine recommendation - Zero
Take a look at "Wired" Its morphed, and still morphing further from technology into other stuff, tho still has a geeky side that I think you would appreciate.
Thanks guys. I didn't know about the FT magazine and will look out for it. I've had subs to both the National Geographic and Wired already though. Didn't find them wanting particularly, just like to try new things.

In the meantime I've just read a nice little article on the web, as a stopgap, about Bob Hope, in the New Yorker. It's here if anyone is interested ( I know probably not).

www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/11/17/laugh-factory
 Looking for magazine recommendation - legacylad
My Californian chums subscribe to Scientific American. I often browse it whilst sat on their deck, margerita in hand. Probably available online, and I used to have some US outdoor mags mailed over.
 Looking for magazine recommendation - Mike Hannon
We've just given up, yet again, on the LRB - edited by whim these days, it appears.
My pal was here a couple of weeks ago, with a UK news/politics magazine I hadn't come across before, called Prospect. I thought it looked pretty good but I didn't pay enough attention to notice any axes being ground.
 Looking for magazine recommendation - Ambo
>>For some time I've been a reader of the ...New Yorker...

How do you get hold of that, Crankcase? The last time I tried I was informed that overseas subscriptions were not catered for.

I'm surprised that you find LRB single-minded. I have just taken out a sub (having faced the same problem as you) and the current issue covers a wide range of topics in detail while being nominally a review of books. There is a huge quantity of background facts on Afghanistan that I never dreamed of for example, introduced via reviews. Neither had I realised that the Code Napoleon survives over most of continental Europe and South America.

Otherwise you have covered most of the likely candidates except The New Statesman, which has gone down appallingly. I hope you will let us know if you find what you seek.
New Yorker is an easy sub from their web site, ambo, in print, digital or both.

I've now found something that perhaps I'll try as it looks as if it's the kind of thing I had in mind. Laphams Quarterly. Anyone else tried it?

Oh, btw, thanks for the Scientific American idea. I do look at that from time to time (but I don't much like Time) and the Smithsonian magazine often has the odd snippet of interest too.

Lot of American bias here of course, which is why I was hoping for something British, but looks at first sight from this thread as if there's nothing mainstream I've missed.

Edit. They've sold me with this anecdote from an earlier issue. I love it.

As a young man, he was totally asexual,” Luis Buñuel recalled of Salvador Dalí, elaborating in a parenthetical comment, “Of course, he’s seduced many, particularly American heiresses; but those seductions usually entailed stripping them naked in his apartment, frying a couple of eggs, putting them on the women’s shoulders, and, without a word, showing them to the door.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 19 Dec 14 at 15:15
 Looking for magazine recommendation - Armel Coussine
New Yorker is the daddy of them all, world's classiest magazine. The LRB is also pretty good but a bit, er, I'm afraid 'provincial' is the word.

They both tend to be conceited, verbose and patchily edited. But they both have really good dense readable honest stuff too. The linked piece on Bob Hope contains both aspects.

When a child I used to look at National Geographic when I found a pile of copies. The articles were often, though not always, boring touristy guff to go with the photos, which were the real point. But like others here my favourite bits were the Studebaker, Nash, Edsel and Cadillac ads. They often featured very small human figures to make the cars look even more like giant spaceships.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 19 Dec 14 at 15:26
 Looking for magazine recommendation - Aretas
Alternative options:
a. The Oldie will not stretch your mind, but is a lot of fun.
b. Some charity shops have quality books and they are far better value than magazines, but of course are not up to date.
c. readability.com is a good way of getting a variety of reading. I copy anything interesting and send it to my Kindle
 Looking for magazine recommendation - Dave
Playboy has some good articles, plus a little tiitilation.
Latest Forum Posts