Non-motoring > Looking for magazine recommendation Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 11

Looking for magazine recommendation - Crankcase
For some time I've been a reader of the American Cabinet magazine, and also the New Yorker, both of which I enjoy very much.

What I like about these is that they are intelligently written, have the rare quality of introducing me to new things, and most of all seem to have a variety of subject material that takes you by surprise every issue.

I can't find a uk magazine that has the same qualities. Obvious candidates such The Spectator, Times Literary Supplement, the Economist or the London Review of Books all have their place but are rather single minded in their approach. Stuff like the New Scientist has gone very downhill in recent years, and stuff like Nature or Science tend to be more abstruse than I have time to cope with on anything other than the odd dip in.

Is there some magazine I'm missing out on here the panel could recommend? I want something a bit challenging for the general reader but that has unpredictable wide ranging subject matter, not the kind of one trick pony stuff the ones I mentioned seem to be.

I don't have an interest in this instance in reading stuff on the web, so don't suggest Wikipedia!

Any ideas? Otherwise it'll be a year's subscription to Nutz.

Messages Author Date
 Looking for magazine recommendation new Crankcase 18 Dec 14 19:02
 Looking for magazine recommendation new WillDeBeest 18 Dec 14 19:11
 Looking for magazine recommendation new Alastairw 18 Dec 14 19:57
 Looking for magazine recommendation new Zero 18 Dec 14 20:13
 Looking for magazine recommendation new Crankcase 18 Dec 14 21:41
 Looking for magazine recommendation new legacylad 18 Dec 14 22:05
 Looking for magazine recommendation new Mike Hannon 19 Dec 14 12:00
 Looking for magazine recommendation new Ambo 19 Dec 14 13:27
 Looking for magazine recommendation new Crankcase 19 Dec 14 15:11
 Looking for magazine recommendatio.. new Armel Coussine 19 Dec 14 15:24
 Looking for magazine recommendati.. new Aretas 20 Dec 14 13:39