Non-motoring > Thumbs up and Frownie faces.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 27

Thumbs up and Frownie faces.... - No FM2R
This message has been hidden as many of our users have rated it as offensive.
You may view it by clicking here
I use green thumbs up when;

1) Usually because something amuses me.
2) Sometimes because some t*** put a gutless frownie face and so I put a thumb to balance it.

I use a frownie face when;

1) Some a*** put a thumbs up to an insult they didn't have the guts to say themselves, so I put a frownie to balance it, or hack them off, whichever.

No other reason, because I cannot imagine actually ever being offended for real in here.

I never use either for agreement or disagreement, since in those cases I would simply say so.

Why do *you* use either, if in fact you do?

I'm not even sure what value they are supposed to bring.

I wonder if it would be a significant change to have Agree / Disagree / Offended.

Or to stop them being anonymous. Which would almost certainly cut their usage by 90%.

(although if there's anybody naive enough to think that the Mods don't know who chose which, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn I could sell you.)
 Thumbs up and Frownie faces.... - Dog
I'll often give a post a green thumb if I like or agree with a posters comments.

I'll sometimes give a post a frownie face in a jokingly way - I've occasionally given frownies to Lud, Runfor D'HumphBackbridge, and even the mods in a joking way - if you knew me you'd know why :-)

I think the best set up is the one they have on the expat forum where you can 'like' a post, and your forum name will be shown, but that's it - you can't dislike a post, if you don't like, or disagree with a post, you have to get the qwerty board out, like.

www.expatforum.com/expats/

Thumbs up and Frownie faces.... - Clk Sec
How on earth has FM managed to get himself such a well established frownie face (in response to his post at 03.03) this early on a Sunday the morning?

Green thumb given to cheer him up...
 Thumbs up and Frownie faces.... - WillDeBeest
Thumbs are intended to recognize helpful posts - answers to questions, for example. I'll use them for that, or for things that amuse me or are thought-provoking or just well written, but not simply because I agree with something.

I hope we don't go the way of some forums I visit, where contributors are somehow rewarded for their 'helpful' marks and openly solicit them in their signatures. Come to that, I hope we don't take to using signatures either.

I think I've issued one scowly, and that was in fun to Vić, who had written something that didn't offend me at all.

And I never use the moronic and space-wasting '+1'.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Sun 11 May 14 at 08:14
 Thumbs up and Frownie faces.... - Westpig
I use green thumbs for something I especially agree with and/or can't be bothered to write anything or have nothing really extra to add.

I use a frownie as a red thumb, as an opposite to my green thumb thoughts ...and if someone has written something that I think is especially 'low' or if indeed I thought it was offensive.

I'm happy to state that I find very little offensive, so that usage is few and far between, although you and Zero managed it with the post about a chap's widow and Pat's communication with her.

The fact that I don't post something, but use a green thumb or a frowny instead, has nothing to do with reticence or similar as I'm quite willing/able to fight my corner , but sometimes I just cannot be bothered.. and a succinct gesture does it for me.

Thumbs up and Frownie faces.... - Clk Sec
>>I'm happy to state that I find very little offensive, so that usage is few and far between,

+1
 Thumbs up and Frownie faces.... - R.P.
This Mod doesn't know who gives the frownie/smiley things anyway ! So this bridge of yours - when can I have a viewing - I'm in NY in a month ! Webmaster may have access to that.

They were instigated by Stephen as a self moderating device but and I guess I've rarely seen them go to the full outcome i.e. an auto deletion of the post. Like everything else in life they are subject to abuse. I wouldn't be sorry to see them go.

Now this bridge of yours any photos ?

Thumbs up and Frownie faces.... - Robin O'Reliant
Thumbs up if I like a post, frownies only for a joke.
 Thumbs up and Frownie faces.... - VxFan
>> This Mod doesn't know who gives the frownie/smiley things

Me neither.

I'll confess to knowing where the data is stored, but have no idea how to interrogate it. I gave up trying to work it all out long ago.

>> They were instigated by Stephen as a self moderating device

They were also for something else too. I could be wrong, but IIRC it was in conjunction with "My Drive"
Why not get rid of the flipping things then - especially the frownies.
 Thumbs up and Frownie faces.... - Manatee
>> Why not get rid of the flipping things then - especially the frownies.

Because people use them?!
Many peops don't like them though, they are a bit shifty, like, IMO.
 Thumbs up and Frownie faces.... - Fursty Ferret
So if you give enough angry faces, the post auto-deletes itself? Someone try it on this!
 Thumbs up and Frownie faces.... - CGNorwich
Easier to try on the original post. Nearly there now
OK - It will happen FF if enough people do it. I'll wade in first.
 Thumbs up and Frownie faces.... - ToMoCo
The first and probably last 'frownie' I've given :)

I occasionally give a thumb for something I find funny.
 Thumbs up and Frownie faces.... - Runfer D'Hills
Ok done. Felt quite bad about it for some reason. Like hitting someone who didn't deserve it !
 Thumbs up and Frownie faces.... - No FM2R
>>I'll confess to knowing where the data is stored, but have no idea how to interrogate it.

The point being that frownies are not anonymous and you could find out if you wanted to.

Its a pity its not disclosed on the thread though.
 Thumbs up and Frownie faces.... - VxFan
>> The point being that frownies are not anonymous and you could find out if you wanted to.

As I have already said, I have no idea how to interrogate the data. It's just gobbledygook to me.
 Thumbs up and Frownie faces.... - Manatee
>>And I never use the moronic and space-wasting '+1'.

>>And I never use the moronic and space-wasting '+1'.

Thumbs up and Frownie faces.... - Roger.
 Thumbs up and Frownie faces.... - Fursty Ferret
>> -3.
>>

+4.
 Thumbs up and Frownie faces.... - Roger.
Do the maths! (Please do)
 Thumbs up and Frownie faces.... - Alanovich
Thumbs if I like, agree with or am amused by a post, or if it is helpful in answering a question.

Never use a scowly, if someone's put up something I disagree with I'll try to debate it, but if I find it offensive I'll either say so in writing or I'll ignore it, depending on how I feel at the time. To be frank there's plenty of xenophobic/borderline racist (and even overtly racist) stuff on here, I try to ignore it in the main but I'll respond to it if it is in any way personal feeling to me and my family/friends, jibes about "East Europeans" for instance. Oh, and drink driving gags are pretty offensive, but we've been round that buoy a few times so I try (try) to ignore it.
Last edited by: Alanović on Mon 12 May 14 at 11:28
Can you give FF a thumbs down - for research purposes
 Thumbs up and Frownie faces.... - Bromptonaut
No FM's OP has now been auto-edited. You can still see it by clicking though.

I try and use it in same way as Alanovic and prefer to stick my neck out and debate the issue.

Perhaps used it half a dozen times to flag stuff that's borderline or actual racist etc. Most recently last week when Roger inadvertently linked to a blog with some disgracefully anti-Semitic content.
 Thumbs up and Frownie faces.... - Runfer D'Hills
I sometimes wish I had the time to be really properly incensed about something. I think you maybe have to be retired to give it that much priority.

;-)
Latest Forum Posts