Non-motoring > TV licence renewal Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 28

TV licence renewal - bathtub tom
Got an email today, telling me my licence expires today!

Anyone else tried renewing it on-line?

It doesn't like my licence number (I'm reading it off the old licence) and then the site goes into meltdown.

They can whistle for it for now, I'm off to bed.
 TV licence renewal - VxFan
>> Anyone else tried renewing it on-line?

We did ours over the phone and paid with a debit card. Added bonus was that we dealt with a human at the other end of the line.
 TV licence renewal - Clk Sec
>> Anyone else tried renewing it on-line?

We've done this on-line for the last two or three years with our debit card. They let us know quite a while before renewal is due, with a reminder at the last minute.

No problems so far.

TV licence renewal - Pat
Clk Sec, you're up early!

Pat
Yes, I'm bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning...so far!
 TV licence renewal - Falkirk Bairn
>>then the site goes into meltdown.

More Capita service for you.

If it's a blip in the software someone in India will be looking at it while most of the UK is asleep.
Capita offshore most of their IT /Software development & support.
 TV licence renewal - Meldrew
I have had no trouble renewing mine on line, in the past. NB I am up early to get a blazing 1.6 Mb/sec from TalkTalk as, after about 6pm I get less than 0.05 Mb/sec. The joys of copper wires and a carp provider! I see that York has gone onto 1 Gb/sec but I can't afford to move there!
 TV licence renewal - R.P.
Crapita runs this - surprised anything works. Spoke to them the other day on behalf of client..rubbish service
 TV licence renewal - Slidingpillar
Done it on-line for at least 5 years. No real problem, although I'm a bit curious as to why it does certain things.

Have you tried following through on the bit for those who don't know their licence number? For a normal domestic address, you'd only have one licence so you don't really need the number of it.
 TV licence renewal - Bromptonaut
Just pay mine by annual direct debit, why do anything else?
>> why do anything else?

To avoid possible problems if you no longer wish to renew.
 TV licence renewal - Ted

TV is one of my very few direct debits too..although monthly. I think they take about £12.
One thing fewer to bother about.
 TV licence renewal - Roger.
Smug. ;-) I don't pay the TV Tax!
 TV licence renewal - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> To avoid possible problems if you no longer wish to renew.
>>
>>
I'm not an avid TV watcher, but my only non-renewal will be the year they cart me off in a box.
 TV licence renewal - Bromptonaut
>> I'm not an avid TV watcher, but my only non-renewal will be the year they
>> cart me off in a box.
>

That's my take too Robin. Only need to cancel when I'm old enough for a free one.
>>I'm not an avid TV watcher, but my only non-renewal will be the year they cart me off in a box.

Could be hassle for those you leave behind, though.
;-)
 TV licence renewal - Dog
>>my only non-renewal will be the year they cart me off in a box.

You can get them made of willow now you know.

Just saying.
 TV licence renewal - CGNorwich
You certainly can. These people have got some good reductions at the moment.

Mind you the cardboard is cheaper at £99

coffincompany.co.uk/wicker-coffins

TV licence renewal - Robin O'Reliant
Mother-in-Law went in a wicker coffin.
 TV licence renewal - WillDeBeest
Oh I see - I was imagining something in the shape of a cricket bat. Of course, cricketers already refer to a hard-sided equipment case as a 'coffin', but it's usually so full of odd socks, rolls of bat tape, grotty towels and tubes of Ralgex that it would be hard to find room for a body as well.
 TV licence renewal - CGNorwich
You would probably prefer one of these.

coffincompany.co.uk/colourful-coffins/sports/cricket
Wouldn't be seen dead in it.
 TV licence renewal - Runfer D'Hills
How apt. Cricket does indeed seem a fitting theme for something which goes on for eternity without anything very interesting happening.

;-)

Edit - makes you wonder who gets the ashes though eh?
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Thu 1 May 14 at 18:59
 TV licence renewal - Stuartli
Anything I can renew or pay on-line including VED disk, TV licence, water rates, council tax etc I do so.

Never had any problems and it saves hours of effort visiting various offices, post offices etc.
 TV licence renewal - Ted
>
>> You can get them made of willow now you know.
>>
>> Just saying.

I bet they look nice, Bonzo....but how do they keep the screen and all the electronics in place securely ?

Or am I getting confused again ?
 TV licence renewal - Ted

The cricket reference works the other way too. I had to deal with many sudden deaths in my former life. Usual procedure was to turn out the mortuary van to the premises involved.

If removal was straightforward, a metal stretcher and a red blanket were used. More complex jobs like a winding staircase involved use of the ' cricket bag '. A zipped bag the size of a coffin with two handles at each end for carrying. Made things easier getting round corners !

Funny what you miss in life !
 TV licence renewal - Roger.
A black sack'll do for me once they've chopped my bits to bits in the teaching hospital.
You are only carbon and water (mostly) after all.
End of.
More complex jobs ... involved use of the ' cricket bag '.

Probably still smelt better than mine.
}:---%
 TV licence renewal - Dog
>> I bet they look nice, Bonzo....but how do they keep the screen and all the electronics in place securely ?

As long as it's 405 lines I'm not too fussed really.
Latest Forum Posts