Non-motoring > Travel insurance conundrum Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 6

Travel insurance conundrum - legacylad
For several years I have held annual, worldwide multi trip, and, touch wood, never had to make a claim. My renewal becomes due shortly, so I rang Insure4 just to clarify what level of cover I had...they offer three levels.
In passing, I mentioned about individual item cover, and was offered a policy extension for my new Ipad Air + two other gadgets. So far, all well & good. I then mentioned that although purchased on my UK C/card, it had been bought from the US Apple Store for delivery to, and collection from, my US friends. After consulting a supervisor, I was informed that ANY goods purchased abroad were not covered on the policy.
Which begs the question..several friends of mine in a local photographic group have purchased expensive eqpt whilst in transit, Singapore springs to mind, and I bet they don't know that cover is invalid in case of loss. Other friends have, only recently, brought back Bose headphones from the USA which cost a pretty penny, although less than the UK.
So, what to do? If my Ipad gets lost or stolen whilst travelling it sounds like I am stuffed.
 Travel insurance conundrum - R.P.
What about your Household Insurance ? Mine covers me to take expensive bits of kit out of the house.
 Travel insurance conundrum - rtj70
Some insurance policies end up having big restrictions on what they pay out for. When I had to claim for damaged items in a car accident they turned out to not pay much at all for a single item! Ended up claiming from home insurance (Barclays) who were excellent. I'd still want the holiday insurance because that did cover other things we claimed for.
Thanks RP. So obvious It never occurred to me! I had always thought that I was only covered on my HH contents insurance for items out of the home in the UK. Wrong. I phoned Aviva and they told me I was covered worldwide. £3000 total value, single article limit £2k with an excess of £200. Hope I don't need to make a claim but peace of mind at least.
 Travel insurance conundrum - Bromptonaut
I only ever take out travel cover for medical stuff as only loss on canx for our usual holidays would be a ferry fare and less than excess. Household cover has extension for stuff taken outside the house. Tent is insured separately with Camping Club.

Mrs B lost her expensive varifocals and a pair of 'FitFlop' shoes to bottom of a French lake when a friend capsized his dinghy with her as crew.

Aviva handled it faultlessly and paid out in full.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 18 Feb 14 at 16:10
Travel insurance is, as always, most important for the medical cover. I sometimes visit friends in the USA three times a year, and last minute flights are not cheap, nor are those booked 6 months in advance, so cancellation cover is another important criteria.
 Travel insurance conundrum - Meldrew
If trying to save money on travel insurance it is possible to buy a policy for use within the EU which only covers the aspects that the EHIC card does not. However, I understand that Spain is declining treatment for EHIC holders - be insured or don't get treated! I happened to move my car cover to Aviva as the prices was right; they were already handling my house and contents and I got 20% discount off each policy for having both with them. This is obviously a good deal if the premiums suit you!
Latest Forum Posts