Non-motoring > A creaking gate hangs long on its hinges Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 17

A creaking gate hangs long on its hinges - L'escargot
tinyurl.com/9yozehm
 A creaking gate hangs long on its hinges - Harleyman
Finest example of this adage was me Uncle Norman, a dry old stick who probably suffered from what we'd call Irritable Bowel syndrome these days; always looked as though he was going to drop dead the very next day, permanently complaining about his various ailments, none of which appeared to be life-threatening but seemed to occur most commonly at family gatherings.

His other party trick was to whip out his false gnashers at the dinner table, wrap them in a serviette at the side of his plate and blithely explain that they wrre "giving him gip" and he ate better without them.

I was actually quite fond of the old sod because despite his foibles he was a brilliant storyteller who could do deadpan better than Les Dawson.

He outlived both his wives by a fair margin (his second was my great aunt) and made it to 96.
 A creaking gate hangs long on its hinges - Dog
Yes, I know a fair few people like that, alas.
 A creaking gate hangs long on its hinges - Iffy
A well maintained gate lasts longer.

A creaking gate hangs long on its hinges - Clk Sec
I've known several instances where the carer has died long before the person being cared for.
 A creaking gate hangs long on its hinges - devonite
Old Maurice down t`pub has been dying for the last 30years that I know of! and he thrives on it! - over the years there are a couple of "phrases" that just seem to "belong" to him, such as his favorite when discussing things with cheeky young whippersnappers, "Don`t try an tell me, I`ve been dyin since before you were born", and the usual greetting he receives, "yer lookin good Maurice, not feelin well?"
 A creaking gate hangs long on its hinges - No FM2R
I don't like tinyurl. You could be sent anywhere. I'd rather see the real url and at least have a clue.

And finding out a tinyurl link is dodgy after you've clicked on it might be too late.

Is it *really* such an issue when a link looks long?

A creaking gate hangs long on its hinges - CGNorwich

www.thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdomainnameatlonglast.com/wearejustdoingthistobestupidnowsincethiscangoonforeverandeverandeverbutitstilllookskindaneatinthebrowsereventhoughitsabigwasteoftimeandenergyandhasnorealpointbutwehadtodoitanyways.html
Stupid boy, Pike.
 A creaking gate hangs long on its hinges - Clk Sec
Who's been on the Abbot Ale again?
 A creaking gate hangs long on its hinges - CGNorwich
Abbott Ale? Thas from Suffolk bor.
 A creaking gate hangs long on its hinges - Focusless
It can help to give a textual description of where the link is going eg.
Telegraph: tinyurl.com/8asdo5h

although of course there's no guarantee the text matches the link.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 20 Aug 12 at 15:13
 A creaking gate hangs long on its hinges - VxFan
>> I don't like tinyurl. You could be sent anywhere. I'd rather see the real url
>> and at least have a clue.

You can change a setting on the tinyurl website to preview the link before it redirects, so next time you click on a tinyurl you can see where it's redirecting you beforehand.

tinyurl.com/preview.php

Provided you don't delete your cookies on a regular basis.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 20 Aug 12 at 19:53
I clean up my cookies ona very regular basis.

Is there any other advantage from tinyurl other than the fatc that it makes links shorter?
 A creaking gate hangs long on its hinges - VxFan
>> I clean up my cookies ona very regular basis.

So do I, but I've tweaked ccleaner to preserve certain cookies from deletion.

>> Is there any other advantage from tinyurl other than the fatc that it makes links shorter?

::Shrug shoulders::
 A creaking gate hangs long on its hinges - Slidingpillar
I use TinyURL in some email groups I belong to as folks email reading programs sometime wrap and break long urls onto another line. Absolutely pointless on most Forums and often tends to result in me visiting a page twice as I was already aware of the story. Likewise, if the link is the Sun or Daily Hate, I'd not bother!

Really good forum software allows one to paste a complicated URL but display underlined, text of ones choosing.
>> tinyurl.com/preview.php
>>
>> Provided you don't delete your cookies on a regular basis.
>>

Thanks VxFan. Now I've spotted the "Preview Feature" button, I'll enable previews again after I've run CCleaner every time.
Latest Forum Posts