Motoring Discussion > Small estate/big boot - Focus/Astra maybe Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 18

Small estate/big boot - Focus/Astra maybe - Dave
Looking for a cheap estate, probably 7/8 years old. I need as big a boot as possible, petrol, cheap spares, not too rusty. The Focus seems like a decent deal, or maybe an Astra, but the boot isn't as big.

Any other ideas?
 Small estate/big boot - Focus/Astra maybe - R.P.
Octavia ?
 Small estate/big boot - Focus/Astra maybe - -
Chevrolet/Daewoo Lacetti.

Mitsi Lancer, though you have to be a bit eccentric..:-)

Primera.

Mazda 626.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sat 3 Sep 11 at 13:00
 Small estate/big boot - Focus/Astra maybe - Bromptonaut
Would a Berlingo/Partner be too big or van like?

Huge boot but with a footprint quite a bit smaller than a Xantia or other Mondeo sized estate.

Best as a diesel though.
 Small estate/big boot - Focus/Astra maybe - Dog
>>Mitsi Lancer, though you have to be a bit eccentric..:-)<<

S'right - on both counts :)

The Lancer is about the same width as my previous Almera, 30cm (1ft) longer and 'the price is right'.

The Lancers are still too expensive, it seems.

Berlingo would be ok. Just had a look at autotrader, and there's plenty about. Most of the petrols are 1.4, so don't know what they're like. And a fair few non turbo diesels. Had one of those before in a 405 - terribly slow.

Are there actually any private ads on autotrader now, as 99% are dodgy looking traders.
>> Are there actually any private ads on autotrader now, as 99% are dodgy looking traders.
>>
I think there's a better range of all sorts of cars on eBays classifieds now, both private and trade, more pics and space for description.
>> Berlingo would be ok. Just had a look at autotrader, and there's plenty about. Most
>> of the petrols are 1.4, so don't know what they're like.

If a van version of Berlingo would do, lots of them had LPG conversions from new, the 1.4's i've driven have been fine, for some reason i find the van version of PSA petrols to have more better low speed torque than the cars.
>have more better.
>>

note to self, read before posting..:-)
 Small estate/big boot - Focus/Astra maybe - Bromptonaut
>> Berlingo would be ok. Just had a look at autotrader, and there's plenty about. Most
>> of the petrols are 1.4, so don't know what they're like. And a fair few
>> non turbo diesels. Had one of those before in a 405 - terribly slow.

Ours is a non turbo 1.9 (DW3?) so I know all about measuring acceleration with a calendar. Fuel consumption struggles to hit 40 mpg too. But new it was a grand cheaper than the HDi and without all the complicated electronics. 100k report later this week!!
 Small estate/big boot - Focus/Astra maybe - Zero
there is a 100% satisfaction rating about the Mitsi Lancer Estate on here. Cant say that about many cars!
 Small estate/big boot - Focus/Astra maybe - Dave_
>> Octavia?

+1

Depends what you'll be carrying in the boot - there is a significant drop from the top of the bumper to the boot floor on MkI Octy.
How about a round of Golf ~

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-VOLKSWAGEN-GOLF-ESTATE-1-6-SE-/360391099731?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item53e8fbc553
The Octavia is out because of the boot lip and sloping rear tailgate. I need something I can fit my largest standard dog box into.

Jesus, £3K for a nearly worn out 8 year old Golf. Do people really pay that sort of money for the perceived quality?

The Berlingo/whatever the Pug name is, are looking more appealing at the moment. Ha, I must be getting old! Either that, or I'm going all 'earthy'.
 Small estate/big boot - Focus/Astra maybe - legacylad
Another vote here for the Mazda 626.
Zero image and unloved, thus representing good value for money.
I bought my S plate '97 (or '98) 2.0 SE petrol 5 door hatch as a two month stop gap until I could source a convertible, and kept it two years. 36mpg average, leather, climate, electric sunroof, alloys, cruise. 100% reliable.
There must be some nice 626 estates out there for sale privately.
Loads of estate cars on ebay ~

www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=estate+cars&_sacat=See-All-Categories
 Small estate/big boot - Focus/Astra maybe - MPZ
Surprised that I am the first to say Mondeo - a Mark III 2.0 petrol makes a great workhorse.
 Small estate/big boot - Focus/Astra maybe - Alanovich
What's your budget, Dave. Because THIS is a bargain:

tinyurl.com/3ekt9v9

Or for under a grand:

tinyurl.com/3boq5fv

And who wouldn't trust Fat Phil to sell you a kosher motor? ;-)
Last edited by: Alanović on Mon 5 Sep 11 at 11:41
 Small estate/big boot - Focus/Astra maybe - a900ss
If you want a big boot, a Peugeot 307 estate/SW has a huge boot.

If you get a SW version, the seats can be taken out in seconds to make the boot even larger.
Latest Forum Posts