Motoring Discussion > Anyone driven in German Low emision Zone Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Jacks Replies: 7

Anyone driven in German Low emision Zone - Jacks
I'm driving to Italy in June and I've booked (and paid for) a hotel in Freiberg im Breisgau as a stopover.
I've just realised that the city may be one of those included in the Low Emision Zone scheme whereby you are unable to enter the zone unless your car displays a Umwelt Plakette (environmental sticker).

I called the hotel (large Mercure city centre) to check and was told "they are planning this but you don't need a sticker yet"

however all the German websites with information about the LEZ's all state thate Freiberg
IS included from January 2010. Some show a LEZ map of the city and the hotel IS in the LEZ.

To buy the sticker in Germany you need the V5 (the leasing company will not release the original but will give me a photocopy) but also my arrival will be Saaturday afternoon and I think most of the TUV centres (German MOT equiv) will be closed.

To order online you need to scan the original (I don't have the original) and email it.
The best solution would be for the lease co. to scan and email me the file but they are being spectacularly unhelpful.

Has anyone ever done this from the UK? and - I believe a couple of forum members reside in Germany - can anyone point to a definitive source to verify if Freiberg is a LEZ city. The tourist information website makes no mention of it.

Thanks

Jacks
 Anyone driven in German Low emision Zone - Biggles
Hi,
I presume you mean Freiburg im Breisgau. The web site of the city confirms that the regulation is in force from Jan 1, 2010.

www.freiburg.de/servlet/PB/menu/1216085_l1/index.html

J>> Hi
>> I presume you mean Freiburg im Breisgau. The web site of the city confirms that
>> the regulation is in force from Jan 1 2010.
>>

Thanks - that's the confirmation I needed,

Annoying that a large international hotel in the actual LEZ didn't know anything about it!
presumably the young lady I spoke to rides a bicycle to work - apparantly the city has very good public transport and cycle ways and and basically discourages the car so maybe not so unusual.
 Anyone driven in German Low emision Zone - ....
I do not know that area of Germany so cannot comment on Freiberg specifically however, if the hotel have got it wrong it's you that will have the 40€ fine per day. You can pick one up for 12€ from here tinyurl.com/yl2swtm

For my UK registered car I sent a copy of the V5 and had no problem.

Although the sticker should be placed in the bottom right hand corner of the windscreen make sure it is not in the swept area of the screen otherwise you might have problems come MOT time. The sticker is about the size of the tax disk and knowing how some places are about satnav holders, these are not official UK documents like the tax disk so could cause you problems.
Last edited by: gmac on Tue 30 Mar 10 at 16:32
 Anyone driven in German Low emision Zone - J500ANT
These Umwelt plaketten are a pain. Last year I had to organise 23 of them, to be ready the following day, for a trip to BRABUS at Bottrop.

There are sites you can buy from in the interwebs, its not cheap but its done and out of the way.
 Anyone driven in German Low emision Zone - Bagpuss
If you have your registration document with you can drive into anywhere that services cars (TUEV Centre, Dekra, Dealership, Workshop etc.), show them the document, and they will just sell you an Umweltplakette for around 8 Euros.
 Anyone driven in German Low emision Zone - Mike H
See this link which is Munich but explains the system. It's got a couple of useful links:

www.muenchen.de/Rathaus/tourist_office/service/249986/Emissions_Stickers.html

and this link for the TUEV lets you find the nearest one:

www.tuev-sued.de/car_vehicles/tuev_sued_service_centre2

HTH.
>> If you have your registration document with you
>>

as I said in the OP - the lease co. won't release it!
Latest Forum Posts