Motoring Discussion > Insurance catch 22? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dieselfitter Replies: 7

Insurance catch 22? - Dieselfitter
Another question for BR insurance gurus. Had a minor bump on the way to work yesterday - bumper to bumper contact resulting in scuffed paint - but my fault, darnit. By lunchtime, my insurer was calling to say an accident had been reported by the third party, every possible detail taken over the phone and logged etc. Tonight the third party calls to say the estimate for repair is £105 and would I like to pay to avoid an insurance claim against me. I tell him it's a bit late for that, as he's already logged a claim. He says he will call his insurer tomorrow (coincidentally the same as mine) and ask if his claim can be withdrawn.

Soooo, what happen's now? Will the insurer delete the whole incident if no claim is pursued or, as I suspect, will I now have a my-fault incident on my file, affecting my premium for the next 5 years? Don't want to pay for the repair AND still take an insurance hit! I'll probably call the insurer tomorrow, but I suspect this might not be in their script.
 Insurance catch 22? - movilogo
I doubt very much the record will be deleted from their database.

However you can turn it from a "claim" to informing about an incident (which you have to declare legally anyway).

Having said so, often the claim amount is irrelevant.

You can try running some quotes by putting claim amount either £200 or £2000.

Most likely you will get same premium.
 Insurance catch 22? - Tigger
You will have to declare the contact, but it might be worth paying personally to avoid hitting the NCD.

Note that if you have an excess, I believe the excess only applies to your own claim - they'll pay his claim in full [and not chase you for a contribution]
Thanks - NCD is protected, I don't pay extra for this, but I think it happens automatically by having reached the maximum.

Only hope might be to suggest to the insurer that the 3rd party will drop the claim, if they agree to delete the incident as a 'spuriously reported bumper contact with no damage on closer inspection'. Does anyone think this might work??
 Insurance catch 22? - Skip
"Thanks - NCD is protected, I don't pay extra for this, but I think it happens automatically by having reached the maximum"

I have never known the NCD to be automatically protected just because it has reached the maximum, i have always had to pay extra to protect it.
 Insurance catch 22? - CGNorwich
No and since it would amount to fraud could leave you without insurance.
Well, when you put it like that CGN....maybe it's not such a good idea. All things considered, the premium has been pretty cheap on this car (£153 comprehensive) and I agree it's stupid to be other than honest, which could invalidate the policy in the event of a serious claim.

In this case, we're talking about bumper contact and slight scuffing of paint. Unfortunately the 3rd party reported it to his insurer first and offered me the chance to pay for a minor repair second. Doh...
 Insurance catch 22? - Cliff Pope
The other party's action is understandable. Lots of people appear reasonable after a minor scuff and offer to settle privately rather than involve insurance companies. But lots of them you can't trust, and then you get involved with trying to recover money privately from someone who may later change his tune.

There is someone here or on the HJ forum (L'esgargot, Mapmaker?) who always says, I pay my insurance premium so I just let the insurance company settle these problems, that's what they are for.
Latest Forum Posts