Motoring Discussion > Should I change my engine oil? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 40

Should I change my engine oil? - bathtub tom
I bought the KIA Pride four years ago. The first thing I did was change the black, treacly stuff in the sump for new. I subsequently changed it annually and it gradually turned less black.

It does less than 3K miles a year, although many of them are bouncing off-road, wheels spinning, at over 7K RPM.

The oil looks a nice golden brown since the last change a year ago and peering in the oil filler it all looks clean under the cam cover. I suspect a lot of 'varnish' has been flushed away.

Do you think it's worth changing?
 Should I change my engine oil? - Dave_
>> It does less than 3K miles a year
>> The oil looks a nice golden brown
>> Do you think it's worth changing?

Probably not Len, as long as everything else on the car is done up nice and tight I'd have said the oil was the least of your concerns.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Sun 27 Feb 11 at 23:29
 Should I change my engine oil? - ....
Absolutely,

signed Mr. Esso

From what you describe your car suffers what the manufacturers refer to as extreme use, not many miles but "bouncing off-road, wheels spinning, at over 7k RPM". I would change the oil every six months. Might be worth checking the state of the gearbox oil too.
Or, looking for another £50 motor as a backup.
 Should I change my engine oil? - Old Navy
Yes, the most cost effective maintenance you can do.
 Should I change my engine oil? - Perky Penguin
What is the cost to you, garage or DIY, of oil and a filter twice a year? If it is less than a replaement engine + fitting I'd got for the oil!
 Should I change my engine oil? - Dog
Those l'lle Mazzy injuns are quite well glued together, so, - as a test, you could try draining the oil and see how long the engine runs before seizing up, like, ... but don't take it over 7kRPM,

Lemme know how you get on.
I saw a (long) clip on you tube about someone doing that to one of these engines. After it seized, they let it cool down and it started again!
Found it:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hc3uLI5p68&feature=related
>>I saw a (long) clip on you tube about someone doing that to one of these engines. After it seized, they let it cool down and it started again!<<

(hehe!) ... I was actually thinking a'back to the days when (I think it was) car mechanics mag who did that to a car (injun) that had previously bin dosed with Molyslip - it ran on, and on, and on etc., etc., etc.
 Should I change my engine oil? - hawkeye
>> Do you think it's worth changing?
>>

If you need to ask, change the oil.
 Should I change my engine oil? - Iffy
Compromise solution.

Change the oil this year.

Change the oil and filter next year.

Should I change my engine oil? - Zero
No, its a kia worth 20 quid.

the oil and filter cost 25 quid.
 Should I change my engine oil? - Tooslow
"No, its a kia worth 20 quid."

Now go and look at the prices. I see a rather nice looking 3 door C'eed (I think) from time to time and wondered if it was a coupe. Went to the web site just out of curiousity and needed a lie down after I saw the prices. OK that's list not real world but still. Phew!!

John
The OP has a Kia Pride of vintage

295 quid with a years mot.

Tax it and double the value,
>> Now go and look at the prices. I see a rather nice looking 3 door
>> C'eed (I think) from time to time and wondered if it was a coupe. Went
>> to the web site just out of curiousity and needed a lie down after I
>> saw the prices. OK that's list not real world but still. Phew!!
>>
>> John
>>

I assume you have not driven one, it might be a pleasant surprise.

I don't think that the 7 year manufacturers warranty is a freebe.
 Should I change my engine oil? - Tooslow
I was simply commenting on the perception of them as being cheap cars. They ain't!

John
Most people haven't realised that the Ceed is comparable in quality to the products of the mainstream European and Oriental manufacturers.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 28 Feb 11 at 09:17
Get a C'e'ed' second hand, they dont hold value well.

Should I change my engine oil? - madf
We drove a 106 over 17 years averaging 2k miles a year and the engine was as new when crash wrote it off.

Anuual oil and filter changes.. made the difference. For £25 - £50 it seems false economy not to...
you could have saved 750 quid and never changed the oil at all.
>> Get a C'e'ed' second hand, they dont hold value well.
>>
>>
I run my cars for about 100,000 miles, then anything I get as a trade in I consider a bonus.
 Should I change my engine oil? - R.P.
Same could be said of a Colt couldn't it ON ?
>> >> Get a C'e'ed' second hand, they dont hold value well.
>> >>
>> >>
>> I run my cars for about 100,000 miles, then anything I get as a trade
>> in I consider a bonus.

Buy it second hand and run if for 100k miles, there's an immediate 5k bonus.
I prefer not to buy a rejected lemon.
ON!

Its a Kia C'E'E'D!

How can it be a lemon!
If someone has put petrol in it!

I don't usually buy the same make of car twice. I agree that a preregistered unused car is an option. like my last car.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 28 Feb 11 at 10:29
 Should I change my engine oil? - John H
>> I prefer not to buy a rejected lemon.
>>

in other words, you prefer to by a new lemon. ;-)
Last edited by: John H on Mon 28 Feb 11 at 11:30
 Should I change my engine oil? - jc2
Is a Kia Pride what Ford(US) sold as a Festiva??
>>Is a Kia Pride what Ford(US) sold as a Festiva??<<

Si Senor + Mazda 121.

Re: OP, as I've told before, I had customers who *never* changed their engine oil, and I'm talking about Ford V6 (Essex) and the Volvo 240 series, these customers used their mota's for busy ness btw so covered many miles!
 Should I change my engine oil? - DP
I took over a Focus TDDi from a previous keeper at my last company. 2 yrs old, 62,000 miles on the clock, still on the same oil it left the factory with. The lazy so-and-so had never bothered getting it serviced.
I refused to drive it away from the premises without the fleet manager putting it in writing that I would not be held responsible for any subsequent engine failure. Got the poor thing serviced at the Ford main dealer the next day. Put another 30,000 miles on it over the next 9 months without so much as a hiccup.
No perceptible difference in performance or smoothness compared to the religiously serviced 100,000 miler I'd previously handed back.
I am a great believer in frequent oil changes, but it seems some engines really don't care.
>> I am a great believer in frequent oil changes, but it seems some engines really
>> don't care.
>>

I am NOT a great believer in frequent oil changes, because it seems MOST engines really don't care. ;-)
 Should I change my engine oil? - corax
>> I am NOT a great believer in frequent oil changes, because it seems MOST engines
>> really don't care. ;-)

And which modern engines would they be? The TDDi engine DP is talking about is a relatively low tech engine, and can take some abuse.
>> And which modern engines would they be? The TDDi engine DP is talking about is
>> a relatively low tech engine, and can take some abuse.
>>

As i said, most.

One exception that requires particular care with quality of oil and service intervals is: VW PD.

Should I change my engine oil? - Bigtee
All this chat about oil yes change it for the sake of £20.00 it's got condensation in it.
>> All this chat about oil yes change it for the sake of £20.00 it's got
>> condensation in it.
>>

And fuel, carbon, and a load of other debris, at least the condensation boils off.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 28 Feb 11 at 17:26
>> All this chat about oil yes change it for the sake of £20.00 it's got
>> condensation in it.
>>

Change it at 1000km or 1000 miles or any other arbitrary figure such as daily or weekly (or whatever your religion's calendar's time frame equivalent is) if you are worried about condensation.
Last edited by: John H on Mon 28 Feb 11 at 17:57
 Should I change my engine oil? - madf
If your engine has a cam chain then if you foul the oil badly, the chain wears and makes a racket.

New chains are not cheap.. and fitting them is usually £££s. See Micras and Yarises.
 Should I change my engine oil? - jc2
Surely the Mazda 121 was a Fiesta-built by Ford in Spain but badged(and more expensive) as a Mazda.I asked about Festiva which was only sold in the US.
>> I asked about Festiva which was only sold in the US.
>>

There was a Festiva sold in Australia, I drove one about five years ago.
 Should I change my engine oil? - Alastairw
The most recent Mazda 121 was indeed a Fiesta Mk4, but built in good old Dagenham.

The op's Pride is based on the original 121, which was sold as the Festiva in USA and Australia.
The Mazda 121, KIA Pride, Ford Festiva of my '94 vintage was sold originally in this country as a Mazda. It was always made in South Korea by KIA.

When Mazda produced a new model 121, KIA continued to produce the old model and marketed it in this country as the Pride.

The three-door model was sold in the USA as the Ford Festiva, where there's a thriving community: www.fordfestiva.com/

It was also sold in Australasia, although as what I don't know.

I believe it was continued to be made in Iran until recently. You can often see them in current news programmes, particularly in Afghanistan.

It's probably KIA's most successful car.

Latest Forum Posts