Motoring Discussion > Chuffed Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 9

Chuffed - Runfer D'Hills
Well now, my 6.5 year old 180 odd thousand miles Merc has just passed another MOT with no advisories.
The reason it got an MOT at that age was the fact that it had an 18 month ticket during Covid.

Anyway, I had it serviced too, it needed brakes, but those are only the second set since it was new, and I took the precaution of having the transmission fluid renewed. Should be good for a while yet hopefully. Everything still seems to work as it should and the car looks cosmetically absolutely fine. (Apart from “that” wheel of course, but I’ve decided that qualifies as patina) ;-)

We can all crunch numbers to suit our moods and prejudices I guess, but as far as I’m concerned, I see it as not owing me much now, and I’m pretty chuffed that it seems to be in good fettle for now.

I’m in the fortunate position where I could, if I chose to, just go and buy a new car to replace it, but the tightwad in me is quite happy just to carry on with this old thing for as long as it suits my needs and for as long as it continues to function as a viable car.
 Chuffed - Zero
well with only 4 pots, its not been stretched that much has it.
 Chuffed - Runfer D'Hills
It’s really very good at lumpy wafting you know.
 Chuffed - R.P.
There was a 7 year old E Class at a small dealer's site (and probably still is) locally when I was look at a temporary set of wheels. For the price I was more than a little tempted...
 Chuffed - Runfer D'Hills
Careful Rob, they are like the Hotel California. You can check out etc…
;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Thu 10 Nov 22 at 14:27
 Chuffed - R.P.
The other was a 2012 A4 Avant Allroad, full history for 10k. VW fits in front of the bike shed though. Security !
 Chuffed - Runfer D'Hills
We’ve reached the point where the bikes on the roof of the car are more valuable than the car!
;-)
 Chuffed - Runfer D'Hills
Actually an”Allroad” type of thing would work for me if I was shopping for a car. But I’m not, and I’m having the winter tyres back on the Merc tomorrow. Even with RWD they get me anywhere I want to go.
 Chuffed - Boxsterboy
I could be wrong, but if my brother’s experience of running E-class estates is anything to go by, this age/mileage is about when things start getting expensive… For the last 20 years he has run E-classes until they start to fail expensively and he has just traded his 180k 2014 6-cylinder model in for a newer 6-cylinder rufty-tufty 4x4 version (whatever Merc calls it’s All-track rival).
 Chuffed - Runfer D'Hills
Lovely, thanks!
;-)
Latest Forum Posts