Motoring Discussion > Genuine parts whilst under warranty. Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: - Replies: 9

Genuine parts whilst under warranty. - -
Someone has a 2 year old car still under makers warranty that needs some wear and tear parts replacing, in this case brakes.

Someone has advised them that under EU block exemption parts of equal quality can be used instead of genuine parts.

Now looking at my Hilux handbook (not the make in question) it does state that you may use oils etc of equal quality instead of genuine parts, but i've always been under the impression that genuine parts generally are the easy way out for the dealer to void your warranty.

I imagine most of us here would use genuine parts for the duration of warranty and indeed for a reasonable time afterwards, say a year to hopefully reap any goodwill in the event of a problem, but whats the legal situation?

In another forum a poster has had his warranty voided due to the dealer finding a non genuine oil filter fitted...i personally wouldn't risk using such an item, but is it OK for example to buy and get fitted (by a proper vat rgd garage) OE quality brake parts for a German car supplied by the usual souces.
 Genuine parts whilst under warranty. - Bellboy
Most dealers also sell un genuine parts so im sure they get fitted on warranty work.
A dealer i know is being undercut on his parts even though he is part of the manufacturer because a wholesaler is importing parts direct from the same factory but from a non eu country (cant say anymore)
I think the dealer looking for a rejection under warranty would only do it in extreme cases like a seized engine due to poor oil filtration or say a poor substitute radiator caused an engine seizure etc
 Genuine parts whilst under warranty. - NortonES2
There are apparently counterfeit parts (including brake pads) on the market, so perhaps the best way of ensuring the brakes work is to insist on OEM parts from official dealers. At least there will be a good chance of redress, assuming the dealer actually knows where the parts are made.
 Genuine parts whilst under warranty. - Zero
Oil is not "a part"

You can fit pattern parts, but a dealer will not perform any work under warranty on any part of the car that has non manufacturer parts. So in the area of brakes, anything goes wrong with calipers will not be covered under warranty,.
 Genuine parts whilst under warranty. - L'escargot
>> There are apparently counterfeit parts (including brake pads) on the market so perhaps the best
>> way of ensuring the brakes work is to insist on OEM parts from official dealers.

When I worked for a disc brake manufacturer we used to come across brake parts in packaging marked Dirling. A lot of people would only take a quick glance at the packaging and assume it said Girling.
 Genuine parts whilst under warranty. - L'escargot
The only way to guarantee the quality and, just as importantly, the dimensional accuracy is to use genuine parts. Companies that make pattern parts will measure a (probably small) number of genuine parts and base their drawings on their measurements. This will not give them the basic dimensions or the tolerances of the genuine parts. How they choose the material doesn't bear thinking about.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 8 Mar 10 at 07:25
 Genuine parts whilst under warranty. - Dog
A modicum of thread drift but ... When I was a mobile tuner, I would always fit new NGK plugs and Lucas or Bosch ignition parts as I used to guarantee my work - how could I offer a guarantee if there were (the dreaded) Intermotor or Champion parts fitted.
Also, I have lost count of the amount of times I have heard top-end metal2metal that has been eliminated by the fitment of an OE oil filter.
 Genuine parts whilst under warranty. - Iffy
...we used to come across brake parts in packaging marked Dirling...

There were a few of these about when I was in the trade in the 70s and 80s.

One I remember was motorcycle inner tubes branded Kenda - the 'K' looked like a 'H' and the typeface was similar to the one used by Honda.

Any other examples?

Genuine parts whilst under warranty. - jc2
Don't know if it still applies,but in the past,a Ford dealer could fit non-Ford supplied parts but if he did,then he was responsible for the warranty not Ford.All parts replaced under warranty are returned to Ford who received quite a large percentage of non-Ford parts where the dealers were "trying it on!!"
 Genuine parts whilst under warranty. - -
hmm interesting replies but we still don't have chapter and verse whether a manufacturer can withdraw warranty if they should discover non genuine parts being used....i'm quite sure i've read numerous times that it's ok to have a car serviced by a non franchised garage using genuine parts...is that now no longer the case under EU block exemption.

I think it weas Zero who suggested that if non genuine brake parts were fitted the dealer could as it were remove warranty from the brake parts involved....seems a minefield to even consider going non genuine, should the ABS system pack up at umpteen tens of pounds that could well be claimed to be because of sub standard brake parts causing problems, the minor savings in most cases just doesn't seem worth the risk.

Latest Forum Posts