Motoring Discussion > Genuine parts whilst under warranty. Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: - Replies: 9

Genuine parts whilst under warranty. - -
Someone has a 2 year old car still under makers warranty that needs some wear and tear parts replacing, in this case brakes.

Someone has advised them that under EU block exemption parts of equal quality can be used instead of genuine parts.

Now looking at my Hilux handbook (not the make in question) it does state that you may use oils etc of equal quality instead of genuine parts, but i've always been under the impression that genuine parts generally are the easy way out for the dealer to void your warranty.

I imagine most of us here would use genuine parts for the duration of warranty and indeed for a reasonable time afterwards, say a year to hopefully reap any goodwill in the event of a problem, but whats the legal situation?

In another forum a poster has had his warranty voided due to the dealer finding a non genuine oil filter fitted...i personally wouldn't risk using such an item, but is it OK for example to buy and get fitted (by a proper vat rgd garage) OE quality brake parts for a German car supplied by the usual souces.
 Messages Author Date
 Genuine parts whilst under warranty. new - 7 Mar 10 11:39
 Genuine parts whilst under warranty. new Bellboy 7 Mar 10 12:01
 Genuine parts whilst under warranty. new NortonES2 7 Mar 10 15:02
 Genuine parts whilst under warranty. new Zero 7 Mar 10 17:31
 Genuine parts whilst under warranty. new L'escargot 8 Mar 10 07:28
 Genuine parts whilst under warranty. new L'escargot 8 Mar 10 07:24
 Genuine parts whilst under warranty. new Dog 8 Mar 10 08:53
 Genuine parts whilst under warranty. new Iffy 8 Mar 10 09:01
 Genuine parts whilst under warranty. new jc2 8 Mar 10 09:50
 Genuine parts whilst under warranty. new - 8 Mar 10 21:03
Latest Forum Posts