Motoring Discussion > M25 - closed?? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 18

M25 - closed?? - Rudedog
Not sure if this just motoring or if there is an on-going XR thread..

Looks like XR have turned their attention to the roads and today have hit various parts of the M25, where I am they've closed the Swanley and Godstone junctions..

Trying to get hold of my daughter who has been called into work at Dartford hospital and uses the M25 and comes off at J2.

M25 - closed?? - No FM2R
Their internal target is arrest numbers. Funding depends upon it. When there is additional funding then it is awarded to the branch with the most arrests.

Most of those that I know/encounter are merely jumping on a bandwagon and love the idea of being radical protestors and the actual problem of Climate Change isn't all that important.

No doubt some of them are genuine and dedicated, but my experience says that most are not.
 M25 - closed?? - sooty123

>> Most of those that I know/encounter are merely jumping on a bandwagon and love the
>> idea of being radical protestors and the actual problem of Climate Change isn't all that
>> important.

I'm led to believe quite a few are retired and quite like the social side of it all. Have a chat and a meet up, meet new people.getting arrested gives them bonus points in the creditablilty stakes.
 M25 - closed?? - Kevin
>I'm led to believe quite a few are retired and quite like the social side of it all.

Hey that's a good idea. What about a C4P chapter? Anyone got a mobile shed with a stove for making the tea? And some deckchairs?
Anyone got a mobile shed
>> with a stove for making the tea? And some deckchairs?
>>

Zero and Brompt are shed draggers, they can make the brews and bacon butties. LL can sort the beers out, some sort of mobile pub would be ideal. Sorted, beats working in a charity shop I suppose.
 M25 - closed?? - Zero
>> Hey that's a good idea. What about a C4P chapter? Anyone got a mobile shed
>> with a stove for making the tea? And some deckchairs?

Yup, bacon sarnies, tea, coffee, I'm up for it. cash only please.

Edit, and no you cant use my toilet.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 13 Sep 21 at 20:41
 M25 - closed?? - Duncan
>> Edit, and no you cant use my toilet.

If we could park near a Wetherspoons, that would be perfect.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 13 Sep 21 at 20:41
 M25 - closed?? - Zero

>> If we could park near a Wetherspoons, that would be perfect.

It would have to be the one at Beaconsfield Services then. You go out and lay on the M40, we'll join you later.
 M25 - closed?? - Bromptonaut
Press report here:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9984953/Motorists-clash-Insulate-Britain-climate-activists-blocking-M25.html

Apparently a splinter group so not sure it's got the formal backing of XR.

It's the Mail so has their usual skew but presume, in absence of contrary evidence, that facts as to location etc are correct.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 13 Sep 21 at 10:47
 M25 - closed?? - Terry
This group are apparently protesting at the lack of support and funding for house insulation - a significant component of the climate change agenda.

As it happens I agree with their climate concerns.

The government appear to do little or nothing to improve matters by strengthening buildng regulations etc. Subsidies to improve energy efficiency of existing housing is very limited - but it is questionable whether the taxpayer or the owner should foot the bill.

The only way to get noticed is to cause problems. Demonstrations which don't register with the public or media are pointless - they make zero difference to anything.

So we have a choice - police intrusive demonstrations with a light touch and limited punishment for protesters, or go down a "Chinese" route - tear gas, truncheons and prison sentences.

The former annoys those who are inconvenienced, but reflects current policy. The latter just isn't very "British". Which is right probably depends on personal circumstance.
 M25 - closed?? - Bromptonaut
>> The former annoys those who are inconvenienced, but reflects current policy. The latter just isn't
>> very "British". Which is right probably depends on personal circumstance.

It does though represent the way the government is tacking with the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill now going to the Lords.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-58543603

Looks like they moved on pretty quickly.
 M25 - closed?? - zippy
Miss Z is / was on a RCofS medical course in the home counties today (Monday 13th) and tomorrow.

She was going to drive up this morning but came home from a 14 hour on-call session at the hospital totally exhausted, getting home at 21:40ish on Sunday. She would have had to get up at 4AM, leaving at 5AM ish to get to the course for an 8AM prompt start.

So I booked her a hotel for Sunday night and drove her there (rather than risk tired driving).

4 hour round trip (the benefit of no rush hour traffic) and home at 2AM. I moaned about the trip and cost of the hotel but glad I did that as the course was £750 and no refunds and they are as rare as hens teeth.

(I did tell her she has missed a trick by not booking one in the more exotic locations such as Singapore or Dubai. She said if Covid wasn't an issue she would have.)
 M25 - closed?? - Bill Payer
>> So I booked her a hotel for Sunday night and drove her there (rather than
>> risk tired driving).
>>
>> 4 hour round trip (the benefit of no rush hour traffic) and home at 2AM.

I've driven myself late at night from the NW to 'down South' for meetings only to find all sorts of overnight road closures!
 M25 - closed?? - zippy
>> I've driven myself late at night from the NW to 'down South' for meetings only
>> to find all sorts of overnight road closures!
>>

Same here when choosing to drive to the northern cities for work, I usually travel by night and avoid traffic but get the cones.

But on this occasion I did check and there were no holdups identified (though traffic data isn't always 100%).
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-58569794

Looks like they are back.
 M25 - closed?? - Ambo
The Evening Standard reports a four-car crash at blocked Junction 5.
 M25 - closed?? - Ambo
Sorry, that's junction 9.
 M25 - closed?? - Duncan
Traffic England says:-

Location The M25 anticlockwise between junctions J10 and J9
Reason Road traffic collision
Status Currently Active
Time To Clear The event is expected to clear between 16:30 and 16:45 on 15 September 2021
Return To Normal Normal traffic conditions are expected between 17:30 and 17:45 on 15 September 2021
Delay There are currently delays of 30 minutes against expected traffic
Previous Reason Following an earlier accident
Lanes Closed
Lane 1 ClosedLane 2 ClosedLane 3 RunningLane 4 Running
Latest Forum Posts