Motoring Discussion > Ford - Ferry fare advice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 10

Ford - Ferry fare advice - legacylad
I’m hoping to be able to drive out to the Costa B late September and return to the U.K. on my 90 day limit.
Friends who I walk with in Spain have used the Newhaven - Dieppe crossing, and looking at prices, car + 1 passenger, it’s circa £164 return (2x £82). Plus of course I’ll probably stay close to Newhaven the night prior and break the journey in France.
Is this price par for the course, and does anyone have experience of prices on this route? On the many occasions I’ve been to the northern CBlanca I’ve always flown, paying £120/150 return with baggage....fortnightly rentals from Alicante airport have previously been dirt cheap but that may change, and I quite fancy a long road trip in Henry (Focus estate) maybe diverting to the Picos for a weeks walking.
I haven’t used any ferry crossings, at least with a car, for decades, unless you count the Hawkshead-Windermere ferry.
Any ferry advice appreciated...without checking I think the Portsmouth-Bilbao/Santander is considerably more expensive.
 Ford - Ferry fare advice - Zero
I checked out possible ferries to Bilbao t'other week

Outrageous pricing, car and crossover camping trailer nearly 1200 quid - shoulder price ie not peak not winter cheap
I’ve just checked Brittany for the Bilbao & Santander crossings. I knew they were expensive...but....friends have used them previously, both with a car and their motorhome and say you should consider the crossing as a mini cruise. They’ve no plans to use them in future, either flying or driving the long way round.
I don’t fancy the not very cheapo option of trying to sleep in a chair...the cheapest cabin is £77 each way.
From what I can now gather £150 + return on Newhaven - Dieppe is par for course
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 14 Jun 21 at 17:15
 Ford - Ferry fare advice - No FM2R
A gazillion years ago when living in Lagos, I seem to recall that ferry versus driving was financially a wash. I virtually always drove because I like to be in control. On the rare occasions we used the ferry no cabin was required, the bigger problem was making sure that one of the party remained in a fit state to drive on arrival.

Personally I'd always drive if I could, and make the journey an enjoyable part of the holiday.
Similar to the Hawkshead -Windermere ferry then. No cabins or bar facilities onboard. Like the ferry at the end of the SW Coast Path from South Haven Point to Poole.
That was a fun walk
 Ford - Ferry fare advice - Lemma
I usually use eurotunnel. It’s quicker than the Dover ferry, not crazy pricing and so simple. Drive on, consume your snack, relax, drive off. But we usually head towards Bruges to the East or South to central France.

I once took the Newhaven ferry to cut out several hours driving west to east along the french coast to Calais, and then east to west along the A27 rather than M2,M25,A3. We were driving back from Portugal up the west coast of France via Bilbao. I recollect a cost saving, but price was not the issue as there were four of us splitting costs.

Never again. We arrived late in the evening and there was one border officer to check us all off. After only an hour and forty minutes wait we were on our way.
 Ford - Ferry fare advice - tyrednemotional
As ferry prices go, that's not over the top.

However, Newhaven-Dieppe doesn't figure high on my list of preferred crossings, not least because arrival and/or departure times aren't really user-friendly - not good for a break either end, really.

We (in the motorhome) vary between Dover-Calais on the ferry, or Folkestone-Coquelles on Eurotunnel if we're heading directly South. Main deciding factor is our set-off time, dictating a couple of hours break on the ferry from driving, or an overnight just the UK side of the Channel, and an early-morning Eurotunnel crossing.

Having long-term favoured the ferry, pricing changes now lead us more often to use the Tunnel. It is fast, convenient, and a crossing before/at breakfast time (coffee/croissante at the terminal whilst waiting) leaves a long day ahead of you to get miles under your belt (I'm no great fan of the Northern France scenery, and like to get well South, which isn't quite as easy with the ferry).

Frankly, the mileage difference from Dieppe or Calais is diddly-squat, though the natural route from the former doesn't involve The Peripherique, which must be in its favour.

If I were considering a drive of that distance, then I'd go for the Tunnel every time, not least because you can virtually choose your own time, and the number of scheduled crossings mean its fairly easy to bump onto another one if there are delays.
 Ford - Ferry fare advice - Terry
We have used the Portsmouth/Plymouth to Bilbao/Santander ferry a few times for winter stays in Costa del Sol.

It is expensive but little cost difference vs short ferry + m/way tolls + hotels + meals + fuel.

Really depends whether in the winter you find Force 10 and 30 ft waves invigorating or vomit inducing. Cabins are no better than a very cheap en-route hotel but smaller. Food unexceptional generally.

Have decided to drive in the future for long stays or fly + car hire for shorter.
I can’t remember the reason my friends recommended the Newhaven crossing. Until late 2020 they had a small bolt hole close to the East Yorks Coast so would escape the heat of the Spanish summer, where their primary residence is, and drive back a few times each year.

I’ll be on mainland Europe for 90 days ( I hope) so time and distance arriving there is of little consequence...

Dieppe > Nantes ( where my French amis live) is 450kms, Nantes > Potes ( Picos de Europa) 875kms, Potes > Moraira (872kms) plus 315 miles from home to Newhaven.

Better stock up on the wine gums.
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 14 Jun 21 at 20:14
 Ford - Ferry fare advice - Runfer D'Hills
Almost always drive, whether for business or pleasure. Tunnel or Dover-Calais ferry.

Don't like people. Well, don't like them near me anyway. Some of them smell, and on an aeroplane they're right next to you.

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 14 Jun 21 at 21:47
 Ford - Ferry fare advice - Bromptonaut
>> Outrageous pricing, car and crossover camping trailer nearly 1200 quid - shoulder price ie not
>> peak not winter cheap

I checked out Dover to Calais or Dunkerque in July for Berlingo and small caravan. Around £500 return - a lot more than previously.

Car only fares were way less than half of that. The modern ferries having a car only garage deck with tight restrictions on height means, I suspect, they have lots of space whereas higher vehicles compete for space with commercial traffic.
Latest Forum Posts