Motoring Discussion > Driving Licence Renewal Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 21

Driving Licence Renewal - Fullchat
My Driving Licence photograph and HGV entitlement are due for renewal on the 29th.

I'm letting the HGV bit go as I cant remember the last time i drove anything bigger than a fully loaded riot van and at 65 I'm not going to pursue a career as a Yorkie munching trucker + it would now be an annual medical.

So I sent off 3 weeks ago all the paperwork to ditch the HGV entitlement and renew the photograph.

It asked the question had I had any form of procedure on either eye? I stated 'yes' as a couple of years ago I had a single cataract operation. So my eyesight is probably better than when I last renewed.

Nothing has been returned and there are 2 days to go. I have tried every avenue to contact DVLA to no avail and just get binned off to try again. I would just like to know that they have actually received my renewal application and it is being processed. If it hasn't then theoretically, according to them, I could be driving without a licence after the 29th. As I understand it if they are processing then I can continue to drive.

Had this happened up to the 31st December 20 I would automatically have received a 12 month extension. We have of course been in in another lockdown but no further extensions given.

Anyone any similar experiences?
Last edited by: Fullchat on Tue 27 Apr 21 at 14:44
 Driving Licence Renewal - Runfer D'Hills
Renewed mine last month. Took about 2.5 weeks to arrive. Yours might turn up yet.
 Driving Licence Renewal - maltrap
My wife received a reminder to renew her 70+ license in January. She applied online, her 73rd birthday was on the 11th April. To date she has had no response whatsoever. She re-applied online and filled in the reminder form with a covering letter and sent it 2 weeks ago. HJ mentions problems at DVLA on his website.
 Driving Licence Renewal - sooty123
Aren't the dvla going on strike due to issues with covid working practices?
 Driving Licence Renewal - Bromptonaut
>> Aren't the dvla going on strike due to issues with covid working practices?

Yes there was strike action:

www.pcs.org.uk/news/over-1400-walk-out-on-first-day-of-strike-over-covid-safety-at-dvla

Further walkouts threatened for May.
 Driving Licence Renewal - Terry
My limited experience of DVLA following medical advice not to drive for a period is that they are a bunch of total incompetents.

They clearly fail to understand reliance on on car transport - work, leisure, emotional etc. Whilst I wholly accept that if rendered medically unfit to drive for a period there may be a very good reason, there is no excuse for so woeful a level of "customer" service.
 Driving Licence Renewal - No FM2R
My experience of them over the last few years is that if you can work within their online systems then they are very good indeed.

It does rather tend to fall apart when you need human intervention though.
 Driving Licence Renewal - PeterS
Did a change of address online, and opted to renew at the same time as I’d only got a year left on the o,d one, and the replacement came in 2 working days!
 Driving Licence Renewal - Dave_
I’m on a few motor trade FB groups; the DVLA are dealing with the 95% run-of-the-mill work in a day or two, but the 5% that requires a proper look is taking weeks and weeks to process. Not that that’s much help to you, I know.
 Driving Licence Renewal - bathtub tom
Whatever you do, check the entitlement on the new licence (you'll probably need a magnifying glass, I did). I've heard of several motorcyclists who didn't have the relevant category on their new licence and it wasn't spotted until they got pulled by thr BIBs. They had to re-take their test!

SWMBO got the motorcycle group on her renewal, she's never ridden one, but according to her new licence she passed her motorcycle test sometime in her sixties.
I've heard that story several times BT. Both sides photographed :)
Little update. No licence but Ive managed a webchat where the DVLA operative said thet I dont need to carry a licence and I'm OK to drive as the licence is still valid.

I'd argue that technically you do have to produce a licence if required etc etc but in any event I've got a copy of the webchat saved. You just never know.
Can you let me know how you managed to do a webchat.

Many Thanks
This is where I started:

contact.dvla.gov.uk/driving-licence

Then answered a series of questions the answers of which leaned towards actually having to speak to someone. Once accepted waited about 7 min to start the conversation.

I tried yesterday and got binned off as they were busy.

Driving Licence Renewal - R.P.
FC - go to the DVLA website,
www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Check your details and print them off, to ensure you don't lose entitlements.

Police rarely ask for DLs these days as they're all on PNC
Thanks both.
 Driving Licence Renewal - Robin O'Reliant
>> Check your details and print them off, to ensure you don't lose entitlements.

I've just tried that, but my personal details and list of entitlements are on separate pages with nothing to link the two.

Am I missing something?
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 29 Apr 21 at 13:47
 Driving Licence Renewal - R.P.
I see what you mean, the format appears to have changed.
Just doing a nozzel clean on my printer.

Page 4 'Get your check code' . Theres a Print option there. Gave me all my catagories and start/expiry dates. Full and Provisional entitlements.

All mine printed off yesterday.
Open with Adobe and then print Adobe PDF file on 2 pages.

Can also save electronically.
I gave up on Webchat after 20 minutes. Then made a 4th application (3 online+ 1 postal)
This time i actually received an acknowledgement with a reference number, fingers crossed, this one works.
 Driving Licence Renewal - Robin O'Reliant
Mine comes up for it's ten year renewal in August. I've not only photographed it but taken a video as well, panning the camera and zooming in and out in case they accuse me of photoshopping it to add the bike entitlement.

Maybe overkill, but one can't be too careful. When we moved here in 2001 I had the solicitor make a signed copy of it as it was about the time tales of missing catagories were surfacing during the transfer to computerised records.
Latest Forum Posts