Motoring Discussion > Car security Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 11

Car security - Bobby
My go to trash TV is the Police Interceptor type programs and I also follow a few police accounts on twitter.

The issue of keyless entry thefts seem to be growing rapidly and it must be a pain for those that have bought cars with these features to see their cars disappear off their driveways.

A recent program showed a recovered car, think it was maybe a BMW, and the first thing the thieves had done was rip the controls around the sunroof out of the car as apparently these contain the in built GPS/ SIM card controls that owners can use to check the whereabouts of the car.

Some seem to be able to bypass or block tracker devices easily as well. Always think it strange in this day and age when you see the police using the official Tracker system to find a car - its old fashioned "bleep gets stronger" as you get closer - assume this doesnt use traditional GPS?

There now seems to be other security products on the market - one called Ghost which somehow locks the gearbox so even though they get into the car and get it started they can't physically move it.

Of course in this day and age of convenience, it would be easy to prevent thefts but to do so means adding additional layers of security which ultimately take more of your time to secure your vehicle. Disc locks?

I wonder in a modern car how possible it would be to do some old fashoned security measures like removing HT leads or, as I remember in my VW Polo with Moss alarm, I actually had a false foglight switch on the dash that was an isolator from the ignition - unless that switch was on the car wouldn't start!
 Car security - Zero
> wonder in a modern car how possible it would be to do some old fashoned security measures

Dont specify a sunroof in a BMW
 Car security - legacylad
>> > wonder in a modern car how possible it would be to do some
>> old fashoned security measures
>>
>> Dont specify a sunroof in a BMW
>>
Far better off with an old 330 convertible.
Or if you’ve got a garage use it for it’s intended purpose.
 Car security - No FM2R
>>The issue of keyless entry thefts seem to be growing rapidly

Increasingly publicised, certainly.
 Car security - Zero
Because there is less of it, when it happens its now news.
 Car security - Robin O'Reliant
>> Because there is less of it, when it happens its now news.
>>

Back in the day I hardly knew anyone who hadn't had a car nicked at some time or other. I can't remember the last time it happened to anyone now.
 Car security - Terry
The incidence of opportunistic theft has declined - the good old days when a car could often be started with a carefully applied screwdriver or hot wired are long gone.

But if someone want your motor bad enough they will find a way to do it. New technical barriers are simply a challenge to be overcome.

An inherently mobile asset worth more than many earn in a year will always be a target.

Car security - No FM2R
>>But if someone want your motor bad enough they will find a way to do it.

Car jacking at the point someone stops at a security gate is favourite here.
 Car security - Zero
>> >>But if someone want your motor bad enough they will find a way to do
>> it.
>>
>> Car jacking at the point someone stops at a security gate is favourite here.

Breaking and entering and away with the keys is the favourite here.
 Car security - No FM2R
>>The incidence of opportunistic theft has declined

p.s. IIRC car theft is at it's highest for 10 years in absolute numbers. I'm not sure what effect factoring in total number of cars would have.
 Car security - misar
>>
>> p.s. IIRC car theft is at it's highest for 10 years in absolute numbers. I'm
>> not sure what effect factoring in total number of cars would have.
>>

Apparently (www.statista.com/statistics/303551/motor-vehicle-theft-in-england-and-wales/):
There were over 113 thousand motor vehicle thefts in England and Wales in 2019/20, a fall of 1.33 thousand when compared with the previous year. Despite recent increases in this type of offence, there were still fewer vehicle thefts than there were in 2002/03 when there were almost 307 thousand. This was followed by a steep ten-year decline which saw vehicle thefts reduced to just 70 thousand in 2013/14.

The sharp fall in motor vehicle thefts seen between 2002/03 and the mid-2010s, followed by a sudden increase in recent years tracks a pattern that can be observed in the overall crime figures for the United Kingdom In total, there were approximately 5.87 million crime offences in 2017/18, an increase of 1.43 million offences when compared with 2013/14.
 Car security - Zero
>> The incidence of opportunistic theft has declined - the good old days when a car
>> could often be started with a carefully applied screwdriver or hot wired are long gone.

In a Ford Cosworth!
Latest Forum Posts