Motoring Discussion > Car security Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 11

Car security - Bobby
My go to trash TV is the Police Interceptor type programs and I also follow a few police accounts on twitter.

The issue of keyless entry thefts seem to be growing rapidly and it must be a pain for those that have bought cars with these features to see their cars disappear off their driveways.

A recent program showed a recovered car, think it was maybe a BMW, and the first thing the thieves had done was rip the controls around the sunroof out of the car as apparently these contain the in built GPS/ SIM card controls that owners can use to check the whereabouts of the car.

Some seem to be able to bypass or block tracker devices easily as well. Always think it strange in this day and age when you see the police using the official Tracker system to find a car - its old fashioned "bleep gets stronger" as you get closer - assume this doesnt use traditional GPS?

There now seems to be other security products on the market - one called Ghost which somehow locks the gearbox so even though they get into the car and get it started they can't physically move it.

Of course in this day and age of convenience, it would be easy to prevent thefts but to do so means adding additional layers of security which ultimately take more of your time to secure your vehicle. Disc locks?

I wonder in a modern car how possible it would be to do some old fashoned security measures like removing HT leads or, as I remember in my VW Polo with Moss alarm, I actually had a false foglight switch on the dash that was an isolator from the ignition - unless that switch was on the car wouldn't start!
 Messages Author Date
 Car security new Bobby 12 Dec 20 18:05
 Car security new Zero 12 Dec 20 18:15
 Car security new legacylad 12 Dec 20 19:39
 Car security new No FM2R 12 Dec 20 19:15
 Car security new Zero 12 Dec 20 19:34
 Car security new Robin O'Reliant 12 Dec 20 21:41
 Car security new Terry 12 Dec 20 23:51
 Car security new No FM2R 12 Dec 20 23:57
 Car security new Zero 13 Dec 20 07:39
 Car security new No FM2R 13 Dec 20 00:02
 Car security new misar 13 Dec 20 13:59