Motoring Discussion > Got some parking advice recently ... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 11

Got some parking advice recently ... - hawkeye
I was parked here, at the kerb facing south with car and trailer while I did some mowing nearby. It's a 30 limit with no parking regulations; out of the corner of my eye I saw a 4x4 towing a livestock trailer travelling north wizz past my car. The trailer lurched as if it had bounced against the kerb and the car stopped suddenly. The driver got out and berated me. I didn't hear the first bit over the noise of the mower but I did stop the engine in time to hear him say that it was a stupid place to park. I replied that visibility was good as you could see down both sides of the obstruction. The other driver said that he thought I should move my car and trailer followed by "better it was moved than there was an accident".

This I interpreted as that I had caught him on a bad day speeding and making an error of judgement by driving his trailer into the kerb, and that if he was passing in his tractor he would run his tyres down the side of my car to make his point.

Although I have been parking in the same spot every fortnight in the summer for 6 years and have seen all manner and sizes of vehicles pass without incident, I decided to move to one of the drives. Ironically that makes visibility poorer for all traffic as I was sideways on to the line of sight.

What do you think?
"here" = tinyurl.com/35reojk
 Got some parking advice recently ... - Zero
tell him to take a driving test.
 Got some parking advice recently ... - Iffy
Quite near to my caravan so it's a piece of road I've driven many times.

The road is wider than it looks in Googlevision, and I'm sure I've passed parked cars there without thinking it's a problem.

Another point is the roads in that part of the world carry a varied mix of traffic, particularly during the day.

Horses, tractors, cyclists, walkers, lorries, horseboxes, horse trailers, sports motorcyclists and farmers on quad bikes going from field to field to name but a few.

Not to mention stray livestock and suicidal wild animals and birds.

Anyone driving in that part of the world should be on high alert for hazards.

Having said that, parking off-road is usually better than parking on it, whatever that may do to sight lines.

Got some parking advice recently ... - Fenlander
99% likely he wasn't paying attention but I have to say on Google it does look as if you were parked on/near the bend. It would never cross my mind to grumble about that but instinct would make me label your car a potential low level hazard and I'd use extra caution.

ifithelps comment about expecting the unexpected in such locations is spot on.
 Got some parking advice recently ... - BiggerBadderDave
Is that you pruning the roses hawkeye?
 Got some parking advice recently ... - Fenlander
Don't think it's H but she has borrowed his pinny.
>> Is that you pruning the roses hawkeye?
>>

LOL, might be, might not.

Fenlander you have let my guilty secret escape.

>> This case it appears there would be view down the nearside of the road ahead and the obstruction in view well in advance.

My point exactly. But, needing a driving test or not, if Mr Angry found it difficult, maybe others do/did as well. I'll be off the road in future. I'm hoping he doesn't turn up doing 40mph with 3 tons of fat pigs on tow as I'm blocking the road reversing into my customer's drive. Heh heh.
Last edited by: hawkeye on Fri 14 May 10 at 19:53
 Got some parking advice recently ... - FotheringtonTomas
Looks OK to park there. Someone having a bad day, or having made a mistake.

Your interpretation of his remarks seems imply a threat where it was possibly not meant.

Should someone in a tractor or any other vehicle deliberately damage your car, then you have the normal remedies.
 Got some parking advice recently ... - L'escargot
After having had a car seriously damaged (by a passing car) when parked on the road, I now only ever park on the road as a very last resort. Once bitten, twice shy.
 Got some parking advice recently ... - Badwolf
>>I now only ever park on the road as a very last resort.

Yup, me too. Even if I'm going out again in ten minutes, I'll always put the car on the drive. It can't get damaged their. Unless Mrs B-to-be gets home before I go out again* :-)

*Only joking, dear...
 Got some parking advice recently ... - Dwight Van Driver
Any vehicle parked on a road can be classed as an obstruction but whether or not will depend on whether it is unreasonable/unneccessary.

Parking a vehicle on a road on a bend (not always wise) can also bend to parking in a such a position as likely to cause danger, in particular if the sight line of an approaching vehicle is affected.

This case it appears there would be view down the nearside of the road ahead and the obstruction in view well in advance.

dvd
Last edited by: Dwight Van Driver on Fri 14 May 10 at 15:15
Latest Forum Posts