Motoring Discussion > Truckfest and being competitive? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 10

Truckfest and being competitive? - Pat
I was at Truckfest from Saturday morning at 8.30am to Monday evening at 8.30. As usual it was a great show and the work that had gone into cleaning the lorries and 'detailing' them for judging was incredible when you consider most were still working on Friday.
I was there with a Charity stand to raise money and we ( Lorry Drivers) challenged any team of 3 people to a Tug-O-War throughout the weekend:)
The rules were 'flexible' and we managed to get the crowds and all took it in the spirit it was meant.

The Ghurkhas were there and challenged us, they were absolutely brilliant and sooooo small too. They thought we were mad because all the women helped them to win one heat and the crowds loved them too.
But the Army...............??

Their Sergeant volunteered them and understood it was all a bit of fun but the 3 lads stripped off their uniform, flexed their muscles and promptly got beaten 6 times on the trot! They then sulked and refused to turn up for a return heat on Monday because their Sarge got a photo ( posed) to show their mates who beat them.

i100.photobucket.com/albums/m34/Veeeight/Truckfest2010008-1.jpg

The highlight for me was being asked to drive a lorry home and I had a choice of two.

i100.photobucket.com/albums/m34/Veeeight/Truckfest2010003-1.jpg

I chose the one on the left and not having driven a lorry sice September 09 it was wonderful!

But on a more serious note, why did the Army lads not find it possible to be beaten in the spirit of the occasion and all for charity too?

Pat

Moved over to Motoring
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 5 May 10 at 10:18
 Truckfest and being competitive? - Tooslow
Thanks Pat. Photos come up as moved or deleted.

Is it true you've got one of those gurkhas on your key ring?

JH
I wish I had, they did us a Gurkha curry and it was delicious:)

I can't make the [IMG] bit go blue, the images are there and they come up on other forums ok so PU ....HELP PLEASE:)

Pat
 Truckfest and being competitive? - VxFan
Photo links now corrected.
 Truckfest and being competitive? - Zero
Aha - I was right. I assumed you drove for Brets, when
you said you normally have xmas at the thorney toll!
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 5 May 10 at 10:24
Thanks VX:)

You're always right Z!

Pat
 Truckfest and being competitive? - Ted

Glad you had a good time, Tricia. Our own event up here went well but I'll post about it on the other, other forum. Steam and beer........lubbly jubbly !

Ted
 Truckfest and being competitive? - Biggles
>why did the Army lads not find it possible to be beaten in the spirit of the occasion?

Being beaten as a soldier is not usually considered a good idea. It tends to have rather serious health and safety issues.
Well, I do realise that Biggles, but it was for Charity and most people found it hilarious including their own Sarge.

Pat
 Truckfest and being competitive? - Tooslow
Pat, I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "the 3 lads stripped off their uniform, flexed their muscles etc". They were clearly "in it to win it" in modern parlance. Now maybe I read too many Roy of the Rovers stories in my younger days but I learnt 2 sporting ethics;
1. it's the taking part and all that
2. it's not done to be seen to be trying too hard.
They were clearly expecting to win and got miffed when they didn't. It's not sporting and it's their loss.

JH
Exactly!

The Gurkhas CO is getting a letter from the charity to let him know just how well those lads represented their regiment at the event, and what a good bit of PR they did.

Pat
Latest Forum Posts