Motoring Discussion > How much free-reign do you get buying cars? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 12

How much free-reign do you get buying cars? - Stuu
I was thinking about this after comments that my wife wouldnt like me buying cars quite often, but actually, so long as they are practical for our needs and I dont spend money that isnt there, she doesnt mind at all, so long as she knows what Im looking at.
She actually said that id been a good boy with the Charade and kept it longer than anyone thought I would so now Im being rewarded :-)

She has her car and Im allowed what I like pretty much - she is VERY keen on having a Fiat 500 but knows she still has to wait a while before she can indulge - even so she wants me to run her over to our local Fiat dealer so she can have a nose about one - is she the perfect woman I ask?!
She is very annoyed they seem to have dropped a leaf green colour that she saw one in and fell in love with when they were first launched and im plactaing her by saying that maybe it will be back in time!

She was never a car girl when I met her, infact she didnt drive at all, but now she knows most makes and models pretty well and takes quite an interest in cars - no doubt being marrie to me is why, but she drags me to steam rallies and points cars out id otherwise miss.

How does the car buying.ownership dynamic work in other households?
 How much free-reign do you get buying cars? - Zero
I choose and buy mine, she chooses hers (but I can veto her choice on technical reasons)

Oh and tell your missus that leaf green 500 was VILE. It looked like dead moss. Red, White or eggshell blue are the ones.
She HATES the white ones, she calls them chrome plate golf balls. Its only your opinion chap and she knows what she likes.
 How much free-reign do you get buying cars? - Mapmaker
Car needed, buy car.
 How much free-rein do you get buying cars? - Avant
Free reign? Only royalty get that!

"She has her car and I'm allowed what I like pretty much" - the story for quite a few of us I suspect, particularly if she pays for it out of her earnings, as happens with us.

We did a lot of test drives before she got her first Mini, but the second and third have been no-brainers - she won't have anything else.
 How much free-rein do you get buying cars? - Dog
My wife chooses her own clothes, oh - and make up.
 How much free-rein do you get buying cars? - Boxsterboy
I can have what I like, although I usually discuss with her first to avoid any hostilities. I use the car for work and occasionally ferrying kids around, so it needs to be reasonably practical. She would like me to sell the 2CV just so she can store more carp in the garage, but I refuse! If I did ever sell it, it would be replaced by another weekend/toy, which is what the 2CV is.

She drives what she likes, but sees cars as a means to an end, and while she allows me my enthusiasms, she is far more level headed.

A few years ago I coaxed her onto a trip around a Mercedes factory (disguised as a Christmas shopping trip to Stuttgart!) and was gobsmacked at how interested she was in the manufacturing processes in a modern car factory. To a car enthusiast they are, of course interesting, but to a wife?!? Since then she has driven CLK convertibles - won't consider anything else; they have room for shopping and the kids and she likes the smooth easy drive.
 How much free-rein do you get buying cars? - Cliff Pope
When the Triumph finally turned to dust it ws my children who vetoed getting another, so I bought an LPG-converted Volvo 240 instead to add to the Volvo stable.
More recently I bought a Series II LandRover with a soft top, which they love, but my wife doesn't like the blue canvas.
But as I do all the maintenance, my vote counts for more than theirs.
 How much free-rein do you get buying cars? - -
I can pretty well choose anything for both of us as we have similar desires, swmbo always vetos my colour choices though...the green or white pick up turned into a blue one.
 How much free-reign do you get buying cars? - MD
>> How does the car buying.ownership dynamic work in other households?
>>
Sounds wonderful. Has she got a Sis Stu? Need a new model!! Whack >>>ouch>>> Yes yes Dear.
Im afraid not chap, just a brother - I can pass your number to him if you like ;-) his wife might not like it tho!
 How much free-reign do you get buying cars? - MD
has he got any BEER?
 How much free-reign do you get buying cars? - Redviper
When I went to look at my Vectra

My Partner (P), she said to me (M) - are you sure you want that one?

M: Yes Its just what im looking for.

P: what about that Citreon C5 over there?

M: no i dont like that, I dont want one of them.

P: ok get the Vectra then.. - ( then after a couple of days) this was definetly the better choice

End of discussion and I get what i want. I choose mine, and she chooses her own car she has the C4 which i do really like
Last edited by: Redviper on Fri 30 Apr 10 at 08:54
Latest Forum Posts