Technical Car/Motor Issues > SEAT Alhambra - 01 1.9 ABS warning light Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 9

SEAT Alhambra - 01 1.9 ABS warning light - Roger.
The ABS warning light has cone on this AM.
Braking is OK, but obviously no ABS.
Any ideas on the cause and or guesses as to likely cost, or is it too general an enquiry?

As my question was ignored, the correct year was found via a forum search
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 27 Jan 11 at 10:14
 SEAT Alhambra - 20 1.9 ABS warning light - VxFan
Year = 20?

Box only accepts 2 digits
 SEAT Alhambra - 20 1.9 ABS warning light - Zero
You will need to get the codes read form the computer.

Be warned, if this model has the teves abs/esp system you are potentially looking at a big bill, 700 quid or so, less if you get the module sent away for repair.
 SEAT Alhambra - 20 1.9 ABS warning light - Skoda
It might just be an ABS sensor, i think if it's the esp system there's another light comes on too... I might be talking crap as usual :-) ABS sensors are more common than system failure i think.

If it's an ABS sensor you can do the diagnostics with a multimeter and it's pretty fast / can all be done from the engine bay.

Where the multi plug goes on the ABS pump unit there are numbers embossed on the end pin locations. You need to translate those to the multiplug and use them to count the rest :-)

Pins 1 & 2 are front near side.
5 & 6 are are rear.

19 & 20 are front offside.
22 & 23 are rear.

Should be 1k-1.3k ohm resistance.

Like zero says though, if you can get a shot of diagnostics kit it tells you exactly which sensor when you plug it in.

I've only replaced a rear one on the Golf, and i defy anyone to remove it without destroying it and leaving a tightly wedged, empty plastic casing stuck in the hole! You can get a punch through the wheel bolt hole on the hub face and whack out the remains that way.
Last edited by: Skoda on Tue 25 Jan 11 at 14:01
 SEAT Alhambra - 20 1.9 ABS warning light - Roger.
The problem turned out to be a part which is linked in some way with the power steering - I guess that the ABS & PAS are interconnected.
The dealer phoned yesterday to say the part is on its way, VOR, and should be with them today; the car should be ready for 4:00PM.
The part is 250 €, fitting 150€ so a bill for 400€ to be paid.
BTW the labour rate inc. Spanish VAT at 18%, is 59.99€ per hour, which I expect is lower than if I had waited to get it done after our arrival back in England next week.
I am sure I will find UK labour rates to be a nasty shock!
 SEAT Alhambra - 20 1.9 ABS warning light - Pat
And don't forget, it's cold!

Pat
 SEAT Alhambra - 20 1.9 ABS warning light - carmalade
I really can't think of any component that is common to both the abs and pas systems.Unless it has esp stability program then it would have steering angle and other sensors .For the money quoted ,it would seem the main control unit could be at fault.hth
 SEAT Alhambra - 20 1.9 ABS warning light - Bellboy
or an abs sensor at a wheel picked up a bogie
 SEAT Alhambra - 20 1.9 ABS warning light - Roger.
It turned out to a problem with the outer CV joint!
Not sure if there is some sort of information sent from that to the ABS system, but in any event a new joint complete has been fitted.
The part :- 7M0498099AX cost 224.11 euros , labour 89.94 euros + VAT = total 367.04 euros.
Could have done without that just before returning to Blighty for good!
 SEAT Alhambra - 20 1.9 ABS warning light - carmalade
Glad its sorted.Yes,the outer cv joint has the toothed ring on it from which the abs sensor picks up the road speed signal.hth
Latest Forum Posts