Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volvo V50 - 99 1.6 Start/Stop version towing limits
Thread Author: car4play Replies: 2

Volvo V50 - 99 1.6 Start/Stop version towing limits - car4play
I know a 1.6D isn't a hugely powerful engine to tow with, but I was curious as to why the normal version has a towing limit of 1500Kg whilst the start/stop DriveE one we have is limited to 800Kg.
Apart from the start/stop (+ extra battery for this) there are some other differences - lower on suspension by 1cm, different transmission oil (?), but why else limit it to around half the normal version? After all there is a button in the car to turn the start/stop feature off so you could always press this if that were the issue. Any ideas? Or are Volvo just being cautious? When I called them they said it was differences in the engine - yeah well we know that - so that didn't really help.
Last edited by: car4play on Fri 23 Jul 10 at 13:19
 Volvo V50 - 99 1.6 Start/Stop version towing limits - car4play
I have finally got to the bottom of this one - hence the resurrection of an old post. I have got myself a lightweight caravan and soon no doubt will become the object of hate for die hard motorists.

I thought I would have a go checking out the towing limits of this car again as the caravan is 855Kg.
When I bought the car the brochure says the towing limits are :
800Kg braked
700Kg unbraked.

The non-start stop version is 1500Kg braked.

I downloaded the brochure for our year and model and it now says 1300Kg braked. There are a couple of posts on the internet where others have noted the confusion. They state that the HPI check also gives 800Kg braked.

So I called up Volvo customer service and explained the confusion, and they came back with the answer. Apparently the 800Kg braked is for auto models and 1300Kg is for manuals.

Ah - makes sense now.

.. and I can get to tow the caravan legally. Next problem, find a towbar that doesn't cost as much as the caravan... sigh.
Last edited by: car4play on Tue 19 Jul 11 at 13:07
 Volvo V50 - 99 1.6 Start/Stop version towing limits - -
>>. Apparently the 800Kg braked is for auto models and 1300Kg is for
>> manuals.
>>
>> Ah - makes sense now.

It might make sense but it tells me something about the auto box...not another Focus Cmax untouchable box in the making?.

Latest Forum Posts