Motoring Discussion > Madeira motoring Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Arctophile Replies: 7

Madeira motoring - bathtub tom
I've been there a couple of times. Certainly the best way to see the island is by car - you get to the parts coaches don't. Obtain a guide book, some of the levada walks are stunning - if you've a head for heights.

It's only about ten miles wide and one mile high, so if you're not going up a one in five you're probably coming down one! Strange experience, driving up a two-lane motorway standard road in third wondering if you should change down!

The old coastal road on the north side is one-way through some of the tunnels - not that the locals take a lot of notice. Since Portugal obtained EU entry the infrastructure has improved vastly. I had a problem with the old tunnels, they're not lit internally. Going from sunshine to darkness meant I couldn't see anything. If I could see the other end it wasn't too bad, but if the tunnel wasn't straight I had no option but to stop (in the tunnel!) until my eyes adjusted. Beware of stationary cars in tunnels!

The food is out of this world. Madeirans boast they grow anything on the island and of course there's the seafood. The Portugese like the English - the only european country we've never had a war with?

It seemed to me the major damage was around Funchal and Ribeira Brava, so hopefully you won't be affected too much.

Don't panic about the aircraft landing, the airport's on the side of a mountain and the wind shear can cause the pilot to have a few attempts at planting it. They've extended the runway on stilts - curious.

Messages Author Date
 Madeira motoring new Arctophile 24 Feb 10 15:49
 Madeira motoring new smokie 24 Feb 10 15:51
 Madeira motoring new Netsur 24 Feb 10 16:00
 Madeira motoring new jc2 24 Feb 10 16:44
 Madeira motoring new rtj70 24 Feb 10 16:50
 Madeira motoring new bathtub tom 24 Feb 10 17:48
 Madeira motoring new Zero 24 Feb 10 17:52
 Madeira motoring new Zero 24 Feb 10 17:47
Latest Forum Posts