Non-motoring > Levelling a garden Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 13

Levelling a garden - SteelSpark
I've seen a couple of houses recently that have ticked most boxes, except for the fact that the rear gardens have sloped steeply, so much so that they have been stepped with one of more retaining walls.

Typically the gardens have been about 75ft long, with the rear of the garden being about 6ft higher than bottom of the house, and with two 2ft walls, one at about 25ft from the rear of the house and the other about 50ft. Obviously that still leaves 2ft to make up, so the lawn in each section still slopes noticeably down towards the house. The neighbours gardens have been similar, perhaps with only a single step and the lawns steeper.

Not very good for kids, but nobody has been able to answer my question of how feasible it is to level all, or some of the lawn.

Of course, you can't raise the whole thing up 6 ft, because then you will lose 6ft from the back of your house.

So, as an extreme, I wonder how feasible it is to lower the whole garden, obviously having to deal with the fact that the neighbours and garden backing onto the property would be at the original height, so presumably would need retaining walls.

In a less extreme case, I wonder how feasible it would be to turn the first step into a 6 ft step and then have the rest of the lawn level.

Hoping somebody can provide some guidance on whether it is possible and, if so, how much it might cost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 Messages Author Date
 Levelling a garden new SteelSpark 10 Apr 10 01:25
 Levelling a garden new Dog 10 Apr 10 08:25
 Levelling a garden new SteelSpark 10 Apr 10 20:10
 Levelling a garden new henry k 10 Apr 10 08:58
 Levelling a garden new SteelSpark 10 Apr 10 20:11
 Levelling a garden new Zero 10 Apr 10 09:03
 Levelling a garden new SteelSpark 10 Apr 10 20:15
 Levelling a garden new Dog 10 Apr 10 20:54
 Levelling a garden new Herr Sandwichmann 10 Apr 10 22:15
 Levelling a garden new SteelSpark 11 Apr 10 00:26