Motoring Discussion > USA flydrive - car choice (cont.) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 8

USA flydrive - car choice (cont.) - Focusless
Just in case you'd forgotten: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=76930

Basically for our Virgin Western USA flydrive we upgraded from an 'economy' vehicle to an 'intermediate', and I was quite looking forward to seeing what we'd get (3.0 V6?).

Well we got to Alamo in Los Angeles a couple of days ago, and what a disappointment! Walking down the row of intermediates there were a few Kias, Nissans, even a Ford Focus - all fine cars I'm sure, but not quite what I had in mind. The best of the bunch looked to be this one:
i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae173/focushj/DSCF0260.jpg (yesterday in Lake Havasu, where the old London bridge is)

It's a Nissan Sentra, which according to Wiki is an American Sunny. I think it's got a 2.0 engine, and I can confirm SteVee's comment that 'a small auto - especially in hilly country is awful'. Today I could not do the 75mph speed limit on the level without it dropping down a gear, and keeping speed up on anything like a hill was a real struggle. (It doesn't help that it pulls to the right a bit, so it's not that easy going in a straight line, which you have to do a lot of on this sort of holiday.)

Have American cars really shrunk that much, or should I have a moan to Virgin?

Holiday going very well BTW despite the car. Just 'done' the Grand Canyon today, Las Vegas tomorrow...
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 8 Apr 10 at 05:17
 Messages Author Date
 USA flydrive - car choice (cont.) new Focusless 8 Apr 10 05:13
 USA flydrive - car choice (cont.) new Focusless 8 Apr 10 05:21
 USA flydrive - car choice (cont.) new Zero 8 Apr 10 09:09
 USA flydrive - car choice (cont.) new Bill Payer 8 Apr 10 15:28
 USA flydrive - car choice (cont.) new Zero 8 Apr 10 16:48
 USA flydrive - car choice (cont.) new Statistical Outlier 8 Apr 10 18:49
 USA flydrive - car choice (cont.) new Jimbo 27 Apr 10 16:48
 USA flydrive - car choice (cont.) new Focusless 27 Apr 10 17:14
 USA flydrive - car choice (cont.) new Focusless 27 Apr 10 17:31
Latest Forum Posts