Motoring Discussion > Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm Thur Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 18

Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm Thur - Tooslow
I watched the programme and, as others have commented, didn't feel I learnt anything new. I think there is another issue which comes out of this which is being totally ignored. I don't want to be insensitive, people have died and no one knows how they will react to a situation until they find themselves in it but there is surely an issue of driver reaction which is receiving no attention at all.

I am not dismissing the Toyota issue. I do think the situation is being over done but let's stick with driver reaction for now. Earlier this week there was a tragic case of a young girl being run over on a beach in the US. No mention of whether the car was a Toyota. Let's assume not as I'm sure that would have been shouted from the rooftops if it were. The driver is reported as having hit the accelerator instead of the brake.

Hang on a minute, let's just look at this in a bit more detail. The driver presumably had her (the driver was reported as being a woman) foot on the accelerator to drive the car. So when presented with an "everyday" emergency she was incapable of responding correctly, i.e. lifting her foot from the accelerator and moving it over to the brake. We're not asking a lot here. Just basic car control.

I have had a child step out in front of me. On more than one occasion. I'd be surprised if a great many of you could not say the same. I hit the brakes and no harm done. Thank goodness. Possibly one child becomes "educated" in their own safety. I really don't want to sound superior or smug but there is surely evidence that there are people who lack basic car control skills. The answer is not more electronics or driver aids, it is a harder driving test.

JH
 Messages Author Date
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm Th.. new henry k 24 Mar 10 21:07
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm T.. new Avant 25 Mar 10 00:33
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm .. new Tigger 25 Mar 10 07:40
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm .. new Statistical Outlier 26 Mar 10 08:48
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm T.. new hawkeye 25 Mar 10 23:27
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm .. new kb 25 Mar 10 23:52
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm.. new RattleandSmoke 26 Mar 10 00:40
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9p.. new movilogo 26 Mar 10 08:44
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 .. new .... 26 Mar 10 13:10
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm.. new hawkeye 26 Mar 10 15:12
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9p.. new kb 26 Mar 10 15:25
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9p.. new Tooslow 26 Mar 10 11:59
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm .. new madf 26 Mar 10 12:32
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm.. new Old Navy 26 Mar 10 12:42
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm .. new Old Navy 26 Mar 10 12:38
 Total Recall. The Toyota Story BBC2 9pm.. new movilogo 26 Mar 10 13:24