Non-motoring > You do know about OpenStreetMap? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Tooslow Replies: 8

You do know about OpenStreetMap? - Tooslow
Just before Christmas I was having a conversation on the Mapyx Quo forum (great OS mapping software and cheap OS maps. Well, cheaper than the big name competition) and I was pointed at OpenStreetMap.

Garmin want about £110 for the UK mapping so I've never bothered, but OpenStreetMap is Garmin compatible and free and it covers the world. So I've loaded it to my Garmin handheld GPS (etrex Legend HCx) and I'm very impressed. I just need to try it out in anger now. I do prefer to use a paper map and just use the Garmin for guidance / where the ???? am I / recording tracks to upload to pc / Google but, despite the name, it has paths, contours, features, POIs and so forth.

Openstreetmap is at www.openstreetmap.org/

I got my maps from talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

This is walking oriented, and I'm looking at Garmin because that's what I have, but I guess it is available for other platforms and works with road mapping - that seems to be what it's aimed at.

Anyway, I've mapped a few local features and I'm waiting to see if they turn up on my GPS in a few weeks. No doubt some of you are familiar with this (why didn't you tell me?!) and can add constructive comments, maybe I can help some of you by pointing you to it.

John
 Messages Author Date
 You do know about OpenStreetMap? new Tooslow 27 Dec 10 15:28
 You do know about OpenStreetMap? new Manatee 27 Dec 10 16:10
 You do know about OpenStreetMap? new rtj70 27 Dec 10 17:28
 You do know about OpenStreetMap? new Tooslow 27 Dec 10 17:57
 You do know about OpenStreetMap? new rtj70 27 Dec 10 18:53
 You do know about OpenStreetMap? new lancara 27 Dec 10 17:40
 You do know about OpenStreetMap? new rtj70 27 Dec 10 17:45
 You do know about OpenStreetMap? new swiss tony 27 Dec 10 18:07
 You do know about OpenStreetMap? new Crankcase 27 Dec 10 22:25
Latest Forum Posts