Non-motoring > Honours Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 9

Honours - Ted

Recently reading about Knighthoods, etc. I began to wonder why certain jobs seem to carry an automatic Knighthood, eg. Chief Costables of the Met and Northern ireland.
These are given irrespective of performance...as has been noted recently. Manchester has had 2 Knighted leaders in the past 20 yrs. I look forward with interest to see if the current incumbent ' makes it '

Just why are so many actors and actresses ' promoted ? It seems to be almost obligatory for orchestral conductors and opera singers,..and has been for many years. I suppose it's just to give the public a 'feel good ' factor. Serious honours for sportspersons have been very thin on the ground until recently.....Hutton, Matthews, Bradman, etc.

Of course, the majority of 'unknown ' honours are given for work largely out of the public eye.

I have helped thousands of people out over the years, but I'm just a ' grunt ' to the powers that be. I'm sure the same applies to all of us.

Any Viscounts or Earls amongst you lot ?

No sour grapes, just curiosity. I have a good friend who is an MBE, for charity work and there's a Lord living a dozen houses down the road...just a red brick semi and an ordinary car!

Ted
 Messages Author Date
 Honours new Ted 2 Dec 10 23:40
 Honours new Alastairw 2 Dec 10 23:48
 Honours new Bromptonaut 3 Dec 10 00:03
 Honours new Bromptonaut 2 Dec 10 23:54
 Honours new R.P. 3 Dec 10 00:52
 Honours new Iffy 3 Dec 10 01:52
 Honours new Clk Sec 3 Dec 10 07:15
 Honours new Roger. 3 Dec 10 08:09
 Honours new Crankcase 3 Dec 10 08:14
 Honours new smokie 3 Dec 10 09:50