Non-motoring > Travel insurance Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 12

Travel insurance - smokie
Contrast that with our Saga claim following a burglary, when the main items which went were SWMBOs vast handbag and her car. Our front door was forced, while we were asleep, police attended and all done by the book.

She happened to have been paid a couple of hundred quid petty cash that day which she was owed which wasn't recovered. They actually spoke to two people at her work at quite some length to confirm it was legit claim. She had a "designer" Radley purse worth no more than about about £80, which I'd bought a juts months previously - I had to produce receipt confirming value (luckily she used to be obsessive about keeping receipts and it had rubbed off on me too). She was a keyholder for her office and the keys went, but they refused to consider the few hundred claim for changing the work locks (luckily work paid and didn't claim from her). Also a reasonably costly Radley umbrella and mirror which they refused to pay because of no receipt,

They replaced our front door lock with the cheapest nastiest Euro lock (which I replaced shortly afterwards) and out conditions on our renewal such that we wouldn't touch them with a barge pole - the main offensive one being that if entry was gained in future with the keys (e.g. her bag was stolen while out) we wouldn't be covered.

We reckoned we were about £300 - £400 out of pocket after the experience, in actual loss and ignoring the time taken to satisfy their incessant questioning. it was Axa we were dealing with but the policy was with Saga. We were almost regretting bothering to call it in by the eventual end of it.

The car was recovered next day (along with the villains) but kept for weeks by forensics. Car insurance (DL I think) paid for new locks even though the keys were recovered. None of the contents were missing, in fact there was more burgled stuff left in the car then when they took it (which we returned!!)
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 4 Jan 24 at 09:12
 Messages Author Date
 Travel insurance  legacylad 4 Jan 24 08:38
 Travel insurance  smokie 4 Jan 24 09:12
 Travel insurance  Bobby 4 Jan 24 15:52
 Travel insurance  Bromptonaut 4 Jan 24 16:06
 Travel insurance  Duncan 4 Jan 24 17:39
 Travel insurance  Bromptonaut 4 Jan 24 17:58
 Travel insurance  legacylad 4 Jan 24 18:13
 Travel insurance  Bromptonaut 4 Jan 24 18:14
 Travel insurance  Duncan 4 Jan 24 22:30
 Travel insurance  Bromptonaut 5 Jan 24 08:27