Computer Related > Whoops, there goes the NAS Computing Issues
Thread Author: tyrednemotional Replies: 27

Whoops, there goes the NAS - smokie
"can't have too many backups!" - this, absolutely.

User PCs (just SWMBO now) are in the destiny of the user - they have the mechanism to easily back up their data as often as they like to the NAS. Once a week the NAS is backed up to my USB drive and once a month to another USB drive - then once when I remember I ask my daughter to bring home the offsite which holds the most key 3Gb or so (the space used is mainly photos but the important stuff is small in comparison). Oh, and there is the old NAS which is mostly offline but has backups of backups, plus some bulky stuff which it would be pointless clogging up a disk with - e.g. a load of tutorial videos downloaded ages ago for a hobby I've not really yet begun.

Some of my own stuff which is updated daily is backed up automatically each time my PC is turned on, other than that I do my end of the backups manually. It's a bit like me hand washing the car - gives me the chance check over the general state of things and keep tabs on how things are. I spend a fair bit of time at my computer so it isn't a chore.

The slow thing is imaging the SD cards in the Pis. I do that the day before the main backup day so they are all included, though one is fairly static and doesn't get done that often. I am trying to transition the Home Assistant to an SSD which will prevent me imaging that, as it's all or nothing with the SD card image software. I know there are probably different ways to do it but I finally managed to successfully restore Home Assistant backups in testing the other day, which I'd never managed before, so that won't need doing once I can prove to myself that it is robust and easily recoverable. (The HA restore software is nasty, it doesn't even let you know it's started, let alone report progress, or completion. Plus I removed a particular troublesome integration the other day which seems to have improved performance as well as reducing snapshot size by multiples.)

I'm sure some will think it sad but we all have hobbies, and our home IT setup is one of mine :-)
 Messages Author Date
 Whoops, there goes the NAS new tyrednemotional 1 Feb 23 18:55
 Whoops, there goes the NAS new Kevin 1 Feb 23 19:38
 Whoops, there goes the NAS new tyrednemotional 1 Feb 23 19:44
 Whoops, there goes the NAS new Kevin 1 Feb 23 20:13
 Whoops, there goes the NAS new tyrednemotional 1 Feb 23 20:54
 Whoops, there goes the NAS new Kevin 1 Feb 23 21:28
 Whoops, there goes the NAS new tyrednemotional 1 Feb 23 21:31
 Whoops, there goes the NAS new Zero 1 Feb 23 20:17
 Whoops, there goes the NAS new Kevin 1 Feb 23 20:30
 Whoops, there goes the NAS new smokie 2 Feb 23 00:05
 Whoops, there goes the NAS new tyrednemotional 2 Feb 23 08:59