Non-motoring > Parking charge notices Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 4

Parking charge notices - bathtub tom
I keep getting these for the (deceased) former owner of the property I've bought. I assume their car has never been re-registered.
The ones from TFL and the local council stopped after the bailiff called and we explained the circumstances.
I'm now getting more (presumably) and I'm marking them: DECEASED, return to sender. The envelopes are marked: Return Address, PO Box 1642,NORTHAMPTON, NN1 9LP

I wonder if brompt can confirm my suspicions, or anyone suggest what else I can do? The sums involved must be mounting up as deceased died over two years ago.
 Parking charge notices - Bromptonaut
A lot of the Court Service's bulk processing for County Court claims is done in Northampton.

There's a specific unit there dealing with enforcement of traffic fines. As you probably know fines from Councils, where unpaid and unchallenged, eventually escalate and become enforceable as though a Civil Debt.

This means a call from enforcement officers to execute a warrant. Favourite technique is to clamp your car until you pay up.

If you're getting a lot of them it may be worth sending a few back together with an accompanying letter explaining the circumstances of your predecessor in title's decease.

The street address is, I think, St Katherine's House, St Katherine St, Northampton* but I guess the return address PO Box will find them.

* I've got a benefit tribunal coming up for a client which I think will be heard there.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 14 Jan 23 at 15:44
 Parking charge notices - Fullchat
Are you on the electoral roll yet for your new property. The first port of call for any self respecting debt recovery should be the voters register. If you inform them point them in that direction to reinforce your innocence then it should bring it to an end.
Also having being informed and corroborated that the person they are pursing is no longer there then they would be possibly be in breach of data protection in that would be in possession of incorrect data (someone may be more up to speed on that aspect).
 Parking charge notices - zippy
I know debt chasing correspondence (as long as it's decent) does not come under harassment laws, but if you have shown that there is no debt, and the letters and threats of legal action still keep coming, at what point does it cross the in to harassment, especially if bailiffs and debt collectors still call?
Last edited by: zippy on Sat 14 Jan 23 at 20:24
 Parking charge notices - Falkirk Bairn
A few years back a householder was being chased by companies for debts that were not his.

He wrote, and posted the letters by recorded delivery, to the senders and informed them that the debts were not his but he was happy to read & reply to their letters on condition that they paid him £30 (IIRC) for every letter received and every reply letter he sent to them.

The company did not pay him but the mail continued.

He then went down the small claims court procedure. He won ! He had everything photocopied, dated and proof of posting etc etc - the company paid up as he was not going the let them off!
Latest Forum Posts