Non-motoring > Solar Panels - Strange Call Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 16

Solar Panels - Strange Call - smokie
Been getting the same and variants for a few years now. I believe the FIT database got into the wild.

For me, they tend to come in clusters - none for weeks then maybe up to three in a day for a while. They have impersonated reputable companies, pretended to be government agencies, mumbled incoherently when I ask for their company website address and generally completely mispresented themselves. They are also saying things like "when we spoke 6 months ago you were too busy to speak but asked us to call back". Never. But I guess that could be a defence against why they are calling me when I'm on the telephone preference service.

They are usually telling me my warranty is up and my installer no longer exists (both true) and sometimes that they've been appointed by the installer's solicitors or the manufacturer to take on the warranty and maintenance.

Other times they want to come and tell me about an exciting new development which will drastically increase my output. Other than new and thus more efficient panels (which would invalidate my FIT payments) there are no new products which would help in my case (thinking micro inverters, which could help shading problems, which I don't have).

tbh I rarely give them even enough time to tell me why they are calling now, they got so prevalent.

I know my panels are performing pretty much as well as when they were first installed. I've had to replace the inverter anyway, at my cost. The systems are supposed to be pretty maintenance-free, so if they are still producing as much as they were then I'd leave well alone (except a few years back I had to get the pigeon proofed against the pesky things which appeared to want to nest under the panels).
 Messages Author Date
 Solar Panels - Strange Call new Fullchat 14 Sep 22 19:39
 Solar Panels - Strange Call new Zero 14 Sep 22 19:58
 Solar Panels - Strange Call new Kevin 14 Sep 22 20:15
 Solar Panels - Strange Call new Terry 14 Sep 22 20:50
 Solar Panels - Strange Call new smokie 14 Sep 22 23:21
 Solar Panels - Strange Call new Falkirk Bairn 15 Sep 22 08:36
 Solar Panels - Strange Call new bathtub tom 15 Sep 22 09:20
 Solar Panels - Strange Call new Falkirk Bairn 15 Sep 22 09:41
 Solar Panels - Strange Call new DeeW 15 Sep 22 13:33
 Solar Panels - Strange Call new Kevin 15 Sep 22 15:14
 Solar Panels - Strange Call new James Loveless 15 Sep 22 21:45