Non-motoring > Landlords and energy bill discount Miscellaneous
Thread Author: James Loveless Replies: 3

Landlords and energy bill discount - James Loveless
As a landlord for a single property I charge rent that includes all bills. The rent has remained the same since the start of the current tenancy many years ago.

Today I read this: "Tenants whose bills are included in their rent could miss out on the government's £400 energy rebate because it is paid to their landlord, warn charities.

Housing charity Shelter said this group were 'at the mercy of their landlord passing on this much-needed support'.

An estimated 585,000 households - 13% of private renters - have energy bills included in their rent.

The government said it expected landlords to pass on the discount.

The National Residential Landlords Association (NRLA) also said that where a landlord was acting as an energy reseller, 'they should be passing on the savings to their tenant in line with [the regulator] Ofgem's requirements'."

I fail to see why I should in effect reduce the rent I receive when I have not increased the rent in line with increased energy costs. My role as "reseller" so far has been to subsidise my tenants' consumption of energy. I don't see why I should add to that subsidy.

Comments welcome.
 Messages Author Date
 Landlords and energy bill discount new James Loveless 3 Aug 22 10:07
 Landlords and energy bill discount new Manatee 3 Aug 22 10:28
 Landlords and energy bill discount new Fursty Ferret 3 Aug 22 12:41
 Landlords and energy bill discount new Manatee 3 Aug 22 13:40
Latest Forum Posts