Non-motoring > Damage to brick wall. Who is at fault? Legal Questions
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 13

Damage to brick wall. Who is at fault? - VxFan
>> Is there standing water on the other side of the wall?
>> How is the water getting through the wall?

Up until excavation on the other side of the wall, the inside of the shed has been dry as a bone. I'm guessing the wall was built at the same time as the other nearby buildings, which would have been in the 1950's. It might even be older than that, as the farm buildings are a lot older.
When they excavated the land on the other side of the wall, rainwater started pooling at the base of the wall, and that was when ingress into the shed occurred. As mentioned in my first post, they channelled a trench to take away any rainwater from the other side of the wall and problem fixed.
The rainwater is coming through at the base of the wall. The rest of the wall is, and always has been bone dry. Mud and silt also come through with the rainwater.

>> If the brick built shed was there when you first rented, its the landlords responsibility.
>> Even if its not listed on the tenancy its still not yours, and you have no redress.

It was already there. It's on our tenancy agreement as "an outbuilding or garage".

The boundary wall forms part of the rear wall of the shed. Guessing approx. 3 metres width, and 1 metre high of it.

Up until when the land was sold off for housing, it all belonged to the private landlord.

This morning I had a chat with the site manager for the building company, who btw is far more pleasant to deal with than their building director, who I thought was most unprofessional in the way he spoke to me yesterday.

Anyway, the site manager informed me that they previously laid the french drain and plastic membrane approx 1 metre down. This is where the base of the wall meets the floor of my shed. They've now gone down deeper with the waterproofing, to a depth of approx 1.2 metres. They have also fitted another plastic membrane to the full length of the shed wall / boundary wall as well.

I do hope that this latest attempt finally fixes it.

Messages Author Date
 Damage to brick wall. Who is at fault? new VxFan 6 Apr 22 12:02
 Damage to brick wall. Who is at fault? new Manatee 6 Apr 22 13:20
 Damage to brick wall. Who is at fault? new sooty123 6 Apr 22 16:24
 Damage to brick wall. Who is at fault? new Falkirk Bairn 6 Apr 22 16:38
 Damage to brick wall. Who is at fault? new VxFan 6 Apr 22 20:08
 Damage to brick wall. Who is at fault? new CGNorwich 6 Apr 22 20:43
 Damage to brick wall. Who is at fault? new sooty123 6 Apr 22 21:22
 Damage to brick wall. Who is at fault? new Zero 6 Apr 22 22:13
 Damage to brick wall. Who is at f.. new VxFan 7 Apr 22 11:22
 Damage to brick wall. Who is at fau.. new Bobby 7 Apr 22 11:49
 Damage to brick wall. Who is at fau.. new Manatee 7 Apr 22 13:22