Non-motoring > Old people reminiscing - holidays Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 14

Old people reminiscing - holidays - smokie
Ah yes Z, luncheon vouchers,. SWMBO used to get them for a while and would save them towards our weekly grocery shop.

Talking of which, PeterS, remembering the start of online shopping - I'm fairly sure I remember some of the first large supermarkets... I can certainly remember much smaller places and small grocery stores when I was much younger (early 60s I guess). I don't think my parents went anywhere at the time to do a big shop, it was pretty much all in a local parade of shops local and much of it done daily. Nothing in the parade open on Sunday except the off licence (lunchtime only) AFAIR.

Which reminded me of Green Shield stamps, and Zero may well remember the Army and Navy surplus store at Manor Park Broadway which gave quintuple stamps for a period. I got a Levi cord jacket there. Used to get reams of the things.

So after licking the stamps and sticking them in, I'd be tasked with counting my dad's Embassy vouchers. He must have smoked a lot back then!! That was done sitting round in the kitchen where the coke boiler was, for which the coalman delivered huge sacks of coke (also coal for the other fire) over his shoulder and poured them directly down a coal-hole in the sideway directly into the cellar. We'd shovel the coal to one side before the coke was put in.

Didn't mean to drift off topic really, thanks for the answers about holiday. SWMBO now thinks she got 3 weeks and I'm pretty sure I got 4. Conditions were pretty good for office staff at the Coal Board, on the backs of the miners of course!! (Who remembers threshold payments? And once got 24% pay rise in a year, just for inflation - no job change!!!)
 Messages Author Date
 Old people reminiscing - holidays new smokie 16 Mar 22 20:47
 Old people reminiscing - holidays new CGNorwich 16 Mar 22 20:57
 Old people reminiscing - holidays new Robin O'Reliant 16 Mar 22 21:48
 Old people reminiscing - holidays new Zero 16 Mar 22 22:00
 Old people reminiscing - holidays new PeterS 16 Mar 22 22:09
 Old people reminiscing - holidays new smokie 17 Mar 22 00:27
 Old people reminiscing - holidays new CGNorwich 17 Mar 22 08:22
 Old people reminiscing - holidays new tyrednemotional 17 Mar 22 09:45
 Old people reminiscing - holidays new DeeW 17 Mar 22 10:55
 Old people reminiscing - holidays new smokie 17 Mar 22 11:11
 Old people reminiscing - holidays new Bromptonaut 17 Mar 22 11:34