Motoring Discussion > My dad’s driving Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 16

My dad’s driving - Bobby
My 90 year old dad is still driving. Has an automatic Nissan Note.
Had his annual eyesight test last July and was still good enough to drive. But is on the list for cataracts operation.
The family are more aware now that he is struggling to read anything and uses an app on his iPad that magnifies stuff and he reads it on the screen.
Anyway, cut to the chase, we are all worried about him driving. But we know his weekly trip to church and Aldi is his last bit of freedom.
I phoned his optician today and expressed our concerns and she totally understood where we were coming from. She is going to call him tomorrow to come in for an update test “to see how his cataracts are doing due to the delay in the hospital referral”. She will tell him that they will be giving him drops in his eyes so he can’t drive to the appt and suggested to me that whoever brings him should come in to the appt with him.

Yes I know it’s a cop out from us but the optician has made this easy. Will see what happens next. Prior to his July appt he told me that if the optician said time was up then he would be happy that someone else had made the decision and he could look back on an accident free driving history. Hopefully he is still in the same thinking.
 Messages Author Date
 My dad’s driving new Bobby 27 Jan 22 21:45
 My dad’s driving new neiltoo 28 Jan 22 11:40
 My dad’s driving new Zero 28 Jan 22 12:13
 My dad’s driving new Bobby 3 Feb 22 22:37
 My dad’s driving new Manatee 4 Feb 22 06:57
 My dad’s driving new Duncan 4 Feb 22 07:17
 My dad’s driving new Manatee 4 Feb 22 07:28
 My dad’s driving new Duncan 4 Feb 22 08:08
 My dad’s driving new Terry 4 Feb 22 10:39
 My dad’s driving new MD 6 Feb 22 17:12
 My dad’s driving new CGNorwich 6 Feb 22 17:31