Non-motoring > Surprises in newly bought house Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 15

Surprises in newly bought house - Fullchat
Looking to the future, and not throw dead money on Uni accommodation fees, we bought our daughters a small end link house with a slight reduction on the asking price. Which looking at house sale history in the area was not far off the ceiling. In hindsight it was the end of a long search of a lot of similar properties in the area which all had issues or immediately obvious future work such as new roofs or evidence of damp in older properties. Property was starting to move at the time.
We did go as far as a Surveyor on one which highlighted a number of potential areas for work and reduced the offer but was perhaps a bit optimistic. Overall it was a reasonable property. Anyway the vendor was not prepared to move as far and that was it. Surveyors fee lost, £300 ish.
Surveyors reports all seem to have a get out for a lot of issues in the small print.
Coming back to the property we bought. We did not bother with a survey. All walls showed no signs of movement or cracks and overall it looked in good condition. Recent new kitchen. Nicely furnished.
Problem is you do not really get quality time to properly snoop about and to test and inspect everything. Its a first impression of both property and vendor type of purchase. It is not until you get into a vacated property that you find issues.

Up to press:
Boiler (in loft) was on its last legs and required replacement.
Front, quite large, 1st generation UPVC picture windows were condensating on the inside. Frames and glass replaced.
Garages are linked in a separate communal area. Door was falling apart and required replacement. Signs of movement on top rows of bricks.
Really nice Sychamore tree in rear garden had well outgrown its surroundings and the autumn leaf fall caused problems to guttering and drainage. Removed professionally.
Downstairs plaster areas had been re-skimmed. Dreadfully. Around and behind fittings as far as the trowel could reach with lumps of old wallpaper embedded.
A lick of gloss white had been applied to wood surfaces without cleaning or prep and just flaked off to the touch. Much sanding and prep to get it off.
Lumps of cooking foil in various holes - evidence of mice having been running round in loft and hidden areas.
House alarm us required engineers reset and no code provided. System replaced and upgraded.
Poor quality 'fitted' wardrobes in the 2 upstairs rooms. Upgraded.
The hob extractor in the kitchen does not vent outside (really difficult to do) nor does it have any form of filter in it.
Insufficient power sockets upstairs. Loads more fitted by yours truly.
It was also treated to a new bathroom which although no completely necessary has made an improvement.
The property has had some money thrown at it to repair, replace, upgrade and redecorate. Some of the major items were not obvious on the 3 visits we made to look around. Had I known I wouldn't have gone ahead without £5000 reduction in price. If you don't know you have no bargaining power. There is always an expectation of some remedial decoration type work.
I've undertaken a lot of work myself and I'm my own worst enemy and am not prepared to take shortcuts. Ive invested a lot of my time. I'm looking to the time they may want to sell and want to make it as attractive to buy as possible. I'm almost certain that in the near to mid term I (they) wont recoup the extra expenditure.

Messages Author Date
 Surprises in newly bought house new bathtub tom 25 Jan 22 17:42
 Surprises in newly bought house new Slightlyfatdirector 27 Jan 22 13:27
 Surprises in newly bought house new Ambo 27 Jan 22 13:49
 Surprises in newly bought house new Robin O'Reliant 27 Jan 22 13:51
 Surprises in newly bought house new CGNorwich 27 Jan 22 14:41
 Surprises in newly bought house new Slightlyfatdirector 28 Jan 22 14:14
 Surprises in newly bought house new Fullchat 28 Jan 22 15:25
 Surprises in newly bought house new sooty123 29 Jan 22 10:59
 Surprises in newly bought house new helicopter 29 Jan 22 11:26
 Surprises in newly bought house new sooty123 29 Jan 22 11:46
 Surprises in newly bought house new Clk Sec 29 Jan 22 14:41