Computer Related > Kindle "With Ads" Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 7

Kindle "With Ads" - tyrednemotional

>>
>> You don't need a Kindle, however, you can download the app to your tablet, or
>> laptop.
>>

...SWMBO is an avid reader, and I bought her one of the early Kindles, which got an awful lot of use.

Then the (County) Library started doing eBooks. Free loans, as per standard library books, but downloadable over the web. Unfortunately not in Kindle format, but in an eReader format that works with a significant number of apps that are installable on a tablet.

It proves most useful for both of us, since we both have a tablet bought for multiple uses for our travels in the motorhome. (I read widely when we're away) We can both download something in the order of 8 books at a time, and refresh the library at intervals whilst we are on our travels (originally, this could not be done from abroad, but the restriction was lifted a couple of years ago).

In pure reading, I think the better Kindles are probably slightly more user-friendly, but use of a tablet (I wouldn't want to use a laptop or PC) is very acceptable. About the only downside is that the library has a restricted number of copies of any title available (though the number and scope of titles is vast) so you might have to wait for (reserve) popular ones. It is, of course, free - Kindle/Amazon gives you the opportunity simply to buy a book immediately, rather than reserve it, but you are paying.

Both our tablets have the Kindle app on them as well, so we could use Amazon if we wished, but the Library provides ample scope for variety, and the old Kindle is now residing in a drawer somewhere.
 Messages Author Date
 Kindle "With Ads" new Ambo 27 Oct 21 14:15
 Kindle "With Ads" new No FM2R 27 Oct 21 15:14
 Kindle "With Ads" new maltrap 27 Oct 21 16:42
 Kindle "With Ads" new neiltoo 27 Oct 21 17:01
 Kindle "With Ads" new tyrednemotional 27 Oct 21 17:37
 Kindle "With Ads" new Zero 27 Oct 21 17:51
 Kindle "With Ads" new smokie 27 Oct 21 18:10
 Kindle "With Ads" new Stuartli 27 Oct 21 18:21
Latest Forum Posts