Computer Related > Foreign scam calls Miscellaneous
Thread Author: John Boy Replies: 16

Foreign scam calls - Crankcase
>> How does it work? Do you tell it what numbers are OK and it bars
>> the rest? Or does it have a look-up on the internet of good and bad?

It's hard to summarise here, because there are a gazillion things it can do. but in brief, yes, it knows about some numbers already, and that list grows as the community add known spam numbers. Then you add your own in one of many ways of your choice.

What I do is have what they call a star list - people I always want to talk to. For them and me, it's just a normal process of them ringing and me answering.

I also have what they call a zap list - those are numbers that I never want to talk to. They get a message saying I don't want to talk to them, go away, and then it hangs up.

I have one more aggressive than that. I had a whole load of calls from Bournemouth, always a different number but always Bournemouth, trying to sell me loft insulation. Well known if you google it. For that, I have a wildcard that says "if it's from the Bournemouth area code then play the unobtainable tone". Luckily I know nobody in Bournemouth.

And for all the in-between ones, neither zapped nor starred, they get a message (without my phone ringing) that asks them their name. My phone then rings and plays back their name and asks me if I want to take the call. At that point I can do so, or not, and/or add them to my star or zap list for future calls.

There's even more finegrained control over all this stuff, including different responses day or night for example, but you get the idea.
 Messages Author Date
 Foreign scam calls new John Boy 25 Oct 21 17:42
 Foreign scam calls new smokie 25 Oct 21 19:22
 Foreign scam calls new Zero 25 Oct 21 19:57
 Foreign scam calls new Crankcase 25 Oct 21 20:02
 Foreign scam calls new smokie 25 Oct 21 20:47
 Foreign scam calls new Duncan 25 Oct 21 22:24
 Foreign scam calls new Crankcase 26 Oct 21 11:12
 Foreign scam calls new Duncan 26 Oct 21 11:31
 Foreign scam calls new Crankcase 26 Oct 21 12:29
 Foreign scam calls new Robbie34 26 Oct 21 13:34
 Foreign scam calls new Crankcase 26 Oct 21 14:05