Motoring Discussion > Changes afoot for towing the likes of caravans Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 5

Changes afoot for towing the likes of caravans - Bromptonaut
The issue is the B+E test.

As somebody who passed their test in the seventies I can drive an outfit with a combined 'plated' weight in excess of 3,500kg (there are, IIRC, lower limits if the trailer is unbraked). My children's generation, tested this century, need to pass a B+E test to go over 3,500kg. They could though drive my current outfit as the Berlingo/Xplore 304 combo slips under the limit.

To pass the driving test you must be able to:

* drive safely in different road and traffic conditions
* show that you know The Highway Code by the way you drive

I'm not clear how different it would be for me towing a larger car/van combo. There's an argument that understanding loading the 'van and ensuring you keep weights matched is no different under 3,500 from over. Watching people on sites leads me to concluded there are a lot of overloaded vans out there.

Caravan accidents resulting from overloading, too much weight at the rear, failure to handle sway etc are too common though usually only involve the two parts of the outfit and are low down on the list for KSI. I doubt the test has made much difference, most caravanners are my generation anyway so are grandfathered.

I
 Messages Author Date
 Changes afoot for towing the likes of car.. new Falkirk Bairn 12 Sep 21 09:13
 Changes afoot for towing the likes of.. new Bromptonaut 12 Sep 21 09:43
 Changes afoot for towing the likes of c.. new sooty123 12 Sep 21 10:08
 Changes afoot for towing the likes of .. new sooty123 12 Sep 21 10:20
 Changes afoot for towing the likes of c.. new Manatee 12 Sep 21 10:23
 Changes afoot for towing the likes of ca.. new Robin O'Reliant 12 Sep 21 11:40
Latest Forum Posts