Motoring Discussion > Ford - Ferry fare advice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 10

Ford - Ferry fare advice - tyrednemotional
As ferry prices go, that's not over the top.

However, Newhaven-Dieppe doesn't figure high on my list of preferred crossings, not least because arrival and/or departure times aren't really user-friendly - not good for a break either end, really.

We (in the motorhome) vary between Dover-Calais on the ferry, or Folkestone-Coquelles on Eurotunnel if we're heading directly South. Main deciding factor is our set-off time, dictating a couple of hours break on the ferry from driving, or an overnight just the UK side of the Channel, and an early-morning Eurotunnel crossing.

Having long-term favoured the ferry, pricing changes now lead us more often to use the Tunnel. It is fast, convenient, and a crossing before/at breakfast time (coffee/croissante at the terminal whilst waiting) leaves a long day ahead of you to get miles under your belt (I'm no great fan of the Northern France scenery, and like to get well South, which isn't quite as easy with the ferry).

Frankly, the mileage difference from Dieppe or Calais is diddly-squat, though the natural route from the former doesn't involve The Peripherique, which must be in its favour.

If I were considering a drive of that distance, then I'd go for the Tunnel every time, not least because you can virtually choose your own time, and the number of scheduled crossings mean its fairly easy to bump onto another one if there are delays.
 Messages Author Date
 Ford - Ferry fare advice new legacylad 14 Jun 21 16:32
 Ford - Ferry fare advice new Zero 14 Jun 21 16:49
 Ford - Ferry fare advice new legacylad 14 Jun 21 17:13
 Ford - Ferry fare advice new No FM2R 14 Jun 21 17:27
 Ford - Ferry fare advice new legacylad 14 Jun 21 17:40
 Ford - Ferry fare advice new Lemma 14 Jun 21 17:36
 Ford - Ferry fare advice new tyrednemotional 14 Jun 21 19:06
 Ford - Ferry fare advice new Terry 14 Jun 21 19:14
 Ford - Ferry fare advice new legacylad 14 Jun 21 20:13
 Ford - Ferry fare advice new Runfer D'Hills 14 Jun 21 21:46
 Ford - Ferry fare advice new Bromptonaut 15 Jun 21 07:24